12 | Three Years Ago

I have major writer's block so I'm sorry that my writing isn't the best.
I'll upload another chapter in a few hours :)

THREE YEARS AGO

ATHENA RUSSO:

"Again!"

I kick the punching bag several times, panting as I do so. Sweat forms on my forehead as I continue to kick and punch the punching bag.

"Stop."

I take a step back from the punching bag and let my arms hang loose. I look at Yavok, waiting for what he has to say.

"Not good enough," Yavok tells me, scowling at me. "Do it again. And don't forget to count."

I hold back a sigh and get in my stance.

"Now!"

I start counting in my head from one the moment I do the combination he has been teaching me on the punching bag.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. Eleven. Twelve. Thirteen. Fourteen. Fifteen. Sixteen. Seventeen. Eighteen. Nineteen. Twenty...

Ten minutes pass by and I'm still counting in my head as I punch and kick the punching bag.

"Stop."

I stumble back and wipe the sweat off of my forehead with the back of my hand. I pant, my throat dry, desperate for water.

"What number did you count to?" He asks me.

"A thousand, five hundred and forty-two," I answer, my voice croaky.

He shakes his head at me, annoyed. He turns away from me and I assume he is calling The Fifteen to torture me again.

Immediately the only feel thing is rage.

"I'm doing my best," I grit out.

"No, you're not. You have been at this for three hours and you still won't get it right."

I turn around and take my boxing gloves off and throw them to the ground. I grab the water bottle on the side and begin drinking it. Once I'm done I wipe my mouth with my shirt.

I look at the line of scientists that are collecting data on me. They are always everywhere I go. The gym. The shooting ring. The swimming pool. The rock climbing arena.

They go wherever I go.

When I train they are always there. When I sleep they are always there. When I am in a simulation, I know they are there.

And they always write whatever is on the clipboard to ensure Yavok. They always say, "Based on the data she can become the best assassin known to this underworld, she just needs more practice".