20 | The Fourth Ball

sorry for the late update, I actually have a life and I'm super busy with it 🤗

ATHENA RUSSO:

"It's fine," I reassure myself, fixing my hair in the mirror.

No, it isn't. Why is my brother an idiot?

Looking at my watch, I frown.

I'm not sure when Yavok is announcing his engagement with his fiancé but I need to make sure I can take her during the announcement.

I unlock the door and walk out of the bathroom. Without even watching where I'm going, I bump into someone. I stumble back and look up to see who it is.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Romano?"

Romano looks down at me confused but I am twice more confused than him. I just thought he was a good kid. I never knew he was involved in all of this.

He looks at me apologetically, "Sorry, I should've watched where I was going but what are you doing here?"

Putting my masquerade mask back on, I say, "You never saw me, got it?"

"Wait what—"

I walk away, not looking back at him as I do so. I walk back outside and hide behind a crowd, hiding from him.

I watch as Romano steps outside, his eyes roaming around the top before his girlfriend comes up to him and drags him away.

God, what did I even see in him? Can I even blame myself? Yes. I absolutely can.

Sighing, I keep my eyes on Yavok and his yet-to-be-announced fiancé. I'm never invited to these things so I didn't actually need to bring a date but this is the first I've seen her at an event like this.

I just hope Marcello doesn't notice her.

A random man moves in front of my view and I clench my jaw.

The man looks over his shoulder and smirks, proud that he's just done that.

I might just kill him in a second.

Moving away, I go behind another crowd to watch Yavok. Yavok probably knows I'm somewhere here because he keeps looking around.

Again another man moves, blocking my view. He keeps his posture rigid and tall. Is this some setup?

I swear to God. I narrow my eyes at the back of his head. Fine. I'll go somewhere else.

Moving to another spot behind the same crowd, I keep my shoulders back and grow taller.

I cross my arms, watching Yavok as I tune out the instrumental music.

Suddenly, a shiver rolls down my spine as I feel someone behind me.