43 | Care About Me

didn't want you guys to wait a month for this chapter. it's not good tho but i tried :)

 it's not good tho but i tried :)

DANTE RUSSO:

I'm tired. Everyone keeps trying to get me out of my room but I honestly don't have the energy. I just want to see Athena. She always makes everything better. She knows what to do. But I don't even have the energy to pick up my phone.

"Dante, get up," Ares whines, "Hang out with me."

I lazily glance at Ares. Strangely, no one has noticed my recent behaviour. Suppressing a sigh, I ask, "Can you just pass me my phone?"

Ares pouts. "I'm bored. Can't we do something fun like we used to?" He reminisces as he passes me my phone, "Remember that time we put bleach in Elijah's shampoo bottle?"

I unlock it and hand my phone to him, "Call Athena for me, please."

He doesn't even ponder why. He just goes through my phone. "Oh by the way, what happened with you and Artemis?"

My eyes close, recalling the time when I fucked up. If I choose to take the treatment, I'll become the man she will want in her life.

"Okay... no answer," Ares drawls out, "Okay I'm going to call her now."

I swiftly grab my phone and motion for him to go away, but he seems stubborn and shakes his head disapprovingly.

"Ares, please," I mumble, placing my hand on my chest. "I don't have time for this."

He sighs and walks out of the room with his shoulders slumped in defeat.

I stare at my phone and Athena finally picks up.

"Dante? Did something happen?"

Tears start welling up in my eyes, and an unexpected pain grips my chest, causing me to gasp for breath. I let out a whisper, "It's getting worse, I don't know what to do."

The only sound I hear through the phone is the sound of her breathing, as she remains silent.

A single tear makes its way down my cheek, betraying the sorrow and pain that I've been trying to keep hidden. I feel so alone as if no one else understands what I'm going through. "Please," I plead, my voice choked with emotion. "Don't leave me to do this alone. It's unbearable. Everyone thinks I'm just being lazy, but you know the truth. You're the only one who understands. Please, I need you."

I inhale sharply, feeling the tears cascade down my face without restraint. I place my hand over my chest, hoping to alleviate the piercing ache that grips me so tightly. "It hurts. My heart, Athena. It feels like it's being ripped apart slowly."

She inhales deeply, her chest rising and falling with the motion, and then asks, "I'm sorry, but let me clarify, did you just say that not a single one of our brothers cares?"