10 | The Second Ball

Nonna = Grandmother

(chapter 2 will help you refresh your memory if you don't remember)

LORENZO RUSSO:

The sky is tar-black and the large clouds cover the sky like a blanket. I can hear a tapping on the window and then it becomes a pitter-patter.

Our cousins run around in our garden as the clouds spit out their beads of water. Puddles begin plinking as the rainfall becomes heavier.

"My dear, why don't you sit down? You've been standing there gazing at the view which I must say I understand but aren't your legs sore?"

I turn around and look at Nonna.

"You have brought every demon spawn known on earth into my home. Sitting down would make me comfortable with it," I snap, crossing my arms.

She lets out an exaggerated sigh, "You've always been so dramatic, Enzo. You know that's bad for you, right?"

I narrow my eyes at her.

I simply do not care if I am dramatic. I don't want five little children running in my garden in the rain, I don't want three teenagers, and I don't want four adults in my home.

Why are there that many people in my home you may ask? Well, they are originally called cousins but I call them the devils that have escaped hell.

Someone bangs on the door. "Let me in! Let me in! Please Enzo! I won't mess up your office again!" Alessio the five-year-old shouts.

Then another one bangs on the door.

"Please let us in! We wanna see Grandman Vivian!" Alessia cries.

Alessio and Alessia. The twins. The Devil Twins.

They are a menace to society.

"Look Nonna I've got the mafia ball to go to in two hours you can't drop off your other grandchildren here and make us babysit them," I sigh.

Her eyes widen, "I would never do that!"

I roll my eyes, "You've done it twenty times."

She stands up and places a hand on her hip. "Listen here young man, I wanted to talk to you about something. So complain one more time and I'm leaving them here for good."

"You wouldn't dare."

She smiles like a maniac, "Oh but I would."

I cross my arms, "Fine. What do you want to talk about?"

She sits back down, pleased.

I grab my coffee and take a sip of it.

"Well I met this lovely girl but I can't seem to find her. I want you to track her down so I can adopt her."