14 - Corny

Ben's POV

I got my baby back. After so long, after everything.. I got her back. And I'll never let her go again.  I smile to myself.

„Dad?", Sera rips me out of my thoughts.
„Huh?"
„You look weird."
„Well thank you.", I reply and laugh softly.

Sera and I are having a daughter-daddy day.
„What are you up to?", I ask her.
„Can we just stay in and play video games?"
I laugh. „Okay sweetheart."

Sera distracted my mind from thinking too much about Jennifer, but after I brought her back to her mom's house my mind was exclusively on her. She hadn't responded to my message yet and I need something from her, or else my mind goes bananas. I miss her that much.

I work out a little and after I'm done I check my phone again, which I have been doing for the millionth time today.

No message still. Instead a missed call. Fuck.

Jennifer's POV

I tried to call Ben, but he didn't answer so he's probably busy. It's already 10 at night so I'm going to bed, today was draining. I'm a little sad though, because I really wanted to hear his voice.

I glance at my phone one last time to check for calls or messages before I go to sleep. Nothing.
Just as I want to go into flight mode, he calls. A big smile draws on my face and I pick up.

„Hi baby.", I say softly.
„Hey, how are you?"
„I'm really tired, I was actually just about to get into flight mode and go to sleep, when you called."
„Oh, I'm sorry."
„No! I'm happy you called, I was a little sad I didn't get to hear your voice today."
„Really?"
„Mhmh. Tell me about your day."
„I thought you were tired?"
„I am. Still. Remember when you used to stay on the phone until I fell asleep when we were apart?"
„I do. That was corny."
I giggle softly. „Maybe. But it was also incredibly sweet."
I already feel my eyes getting heavy, so I just close them while we keep on talking.

„I didn't know that was such a thing for you."
„Every little thing you did was such a thing for me, baby. I loved many of the little things you did."

„So you wanna hear about my day?"
„Yes. But don't be mad if I fall asleep."
„That's the whole point, isn't it?"
„Hm-mh.", I hum.
„I spend the day with Sera. She could decide what she wanted to do so we played video games all day long."
„That sounds nice.", I mumble softly and cuddle more into my cushion.
„She's literally so skilled. I lost every single game. Didn't win once and I really really tried..."
I start to drift off while listening to his soothing voice. He's a good dad.
„She teached me some moves and how to play, but I wasn't th..."
I fall asleep happily.

I wake up to the sound of snoring and frown. A look on my phone let's me that Ben is still on the other line. The time is counting 7 hours and 32 minutes. He's crazy.
I stretch and smile, then I cuddle back into my cushion and listen to his soft breathing while I drift off again.

When I wake up again, I groan and stretch. I slept incredibly good.

„Good morning beautiful.", I hear Ben's voice over the phone.
„Hi...", I reply softly, then I giggle. I feel happy.

„How did you sleep?", he asks.
„Really good. And you?"
„Me too. You talked in your sleep.", he says.
„I did?"
„Mhmh. You said: uh-uh, don't even."
I laugh a little.
„I have no idea what I dreamt about. You snore!"
„I know. But it wasn't annoying you, was it?"
„Not at all."
„What are you up to today?"
„Nothing much. The kids are with Marc, so I'll work out, then I have a few phone calls to make and then I have some time just for myself."
„Can I see you?", he immediately asks.
„Yeah. You can come over at 7? I'll dismiss everyone and cook something. But baby...? You gotta be so careful."
„I will be. I'll take my car, leave it in a garage and then I'll get a different one."
„Okay good."