27 - Step Three

Ben's POV

We're on our way to Jennifer's house, the kids are all excited.

„It's so beautiful.", Violets whispers as we drive up her driveway.

„But dad, what's with the different car?", Sera asks.

„You know the media, right? They went crazy when Jennifer and I dated and we wanna avoid that, especially because no one but you kids know yet."

„They really did went crazy. Dad and Jenn were the origin of mixed couple names. Bennifer.", Violet whispers to Sera but I can perfectly hear her.

Sera chuckles. I decide to leave it.

We get out of the car and get to the door, Jennifer has already opened up and stands there, waiting for us. My kids hug her, then it's my turn. I take her into my arms and hug her first, lifting her off her feet a little.
Then I put her back down and we share a kiss.

„Come on, let's meet Max and Cy.", Jennifer says to the kids and we all walk into the living room.

They all introduce and we just sit on the couch and talk, it feels easy and natural and the kids seem to get along great.

After a while Jennifer gets up to get water for everybody and I accompany her to help out.

„That's a lot of water.", she smiles, getting the bottles from the fridge.
„We're a lot of people.", I reply, stand behind her and let my hand softly graze over her lower back to her hip. I pull her closer and place a soft kiss on the side of her neck. She flinches slightly and giggles.

I start to nibble her neck and she's trying to squirm out of my arm, but I'm holding her firmly. She giggles and squeals a little, it's the cutest.

„Stop!", she whisper-yells at me.
As we get back to the living room the kids are still talking, Cy shares their earpods with Sera and they both bop their heads while Sam and Max are looking at Max's phone. Violet is on her phone and it seems like she's texting.

Jennifer and I put the water on the coffee table.
„Are you hungry?", I ask and put my arm around Jennifer's shoulders.
„Yeah." „Sure." „Mhmh.", are the answers we're getting.

„We're ordering pizza, who wants what?"
They start yelling their wishes towards us.

„Slow, slow!", I say and grab my phone to type everything in.

I go into the kitchen to place the order. When I get back, Jennifer just leans against the doorframe, watching the kids do their thing.

I stand behind her and wrap my arms around her stomach. She lifts her right arm and brushes her hand over my neck until she stops at the nape of it.

„Look at that.", she whispers to me.
„I see." I look at those 5 beautiful kids we separately brought into this world.

The older three started a discussion about something. I don't know about what, but it sounds teenagery, so I'm not getting involved. It seems like a friendly discussion of agreeing on the same things mostly.

It's a little loud and chaotic, but truly beautiful.
„It's perfect.", she says and let's her fingertips fondle over the skin on my neck, while she puts her other hand on top of mine on her stomach.

After dinner my kids and I go back home, Jennifer and I didn't want to rush them and make them sleep over already. It was a beautiful evening and we're leaving it like that. Although I would've loved to stay and fall asleep holding her, after making her really tired.

Jennifer's POV

„Sera is so nice, mom.", Cy says after they left. „I really like her."

„I'm happy you like her baby."

I sit down on the couch with them and put my arm around them.

„Max, come closer.", I say and stretch my other arm out to him. „Please papa."

Max sighs but scooches closer to me. I put my arm around him too and squeeze them both to my side.

„Mhh, mom.", Cy complains a little.
„Just a minute, okay?", I beg.
„Alright."

We stay and they let me have 5 minutes.
Then we kiss goodnight and go to bed. I fall asleep with a content smile on my face. Now we just tell family and close friends and then we don't have to hide anymore.

Leah's POV

The sea's soft breeze is picking strands of my hair up, whirls them around and places them pack on my skin. I breathe in deeply. The saltiness of the air is filling my lungs, I feel at ease.

I try again. I think of my loved ones. Angelo. Nothing. My mom. Nothing. Jennifer. My heart skips a beat. I open my eyes and a single tear escapes. Please, no. I want this feeling to go away.

With the back of my hand I wipe the tear off my cheek. So maybe I'll just tell her.. But what am I expecting? She's into men. She won't come around. Damn it, I'm into men. Why am I feeling this way for her? We've been friends for years and all of a sudden I'm in love with her?

I feel like I can't keep this from her, I need to tell her. I'm sure even if that's not for her, she'll never cut me off for feeling how I feel.

Back in my room I check my phone. Jennifer texted.

„Hi baby, when are you coming back? Any ideas for our day together? ❤️"

My heart jumps a little.

„2 more days. Let's just chill and talk? ❤️"

I put my phone back on my nightstand and lie on the bed. A sigh escapes my mouth.

-

Two days later, I open the door of her house.

„I'm back!", I yell to notify everyone in the house.

„Welcome back, Misses Remini.", some of her staff answeres as he's passing by.

„Ahh!", I hear Jenn's voice and soon after she appears in my sight. She opens her arms and comes running a little.

She takes me into her arms. Our hug is long and comforting, although my heart beats a little faster than it should. I inhale her scent and let my hand slide from her neck to her shoulder.

„I'm a little tired.", I say, break the hug and smile softly at her.
„Okay. I've made tomorrow completely free for us. The kids are staying at Marc's after school."
„Thank you.", I reply.
She squeezes my upper arm. „Go rest."

I smile again and walk upstairs.
Should I really tell her? What if I'm all wrong and it'll destroy our friendship? I let myself plop on the bed and doze off shortly after.