19 - Mistrust

Jennifer's POV

„What do you say?", Marc asks me.

I think about it and it actually would fit pretty well so I could spend more time with Ben. Marc wants to take the kids to some gamescom or whatever, it's a festival that lasts one week.

„Okay.", I say.

„Thank you, thank you, thank you mom!!!", they both say and jump up and down to my left and right.
„Okayyy, haha.", I laugh.
„Ay, what about me, I'm the one taking you!", Marc complains in a funny voice.

„Thank you, dad.", they say in unison.
They both hug him, then they go inside.

„Any plans for tonight?", Marc asks me and takes a step closer to me.
„Marc... I told you we need to stop."
„Why mami, it's so much fun, isn't it?", he says and pushes a strand of hair of mine back. His fingers slightly touch my jaw while he does. I move my head to escape his fingers.

„It was fun, but it's over."
„Why?"
„It just is Marc, can you please accept that?"
„I can, I'm just saying it's a shame.", he shrugs his shoulders.

„And I'm gonna miss it. Won't you?", he continues and lifts his hand again to touch my face. I grab his wrist to stop him, right before he could touch me. My mouth opens while I'm looking for words to say.

„Where's the ketchup, mom?", I hear Max yell from the kitchen.
„In the fridge!", I yell back and slowly move mine and Marc's hand down, then I let go of him.
„No.", Max yells back.
„It is, open your eyes! What do you even need ketchup for?"
A few seconds of silence.
„Got it!"
I roll my eyes and shake my head, then I look back at Marc.

„Okay so... I wanted to work out, so if you don't mind?", I say and nod my head at my door's direction.

Marc shrugs his shoulders. „Alright."

„Thank you. And thank you for being there when I needed you.", I slightly smile at him. Being with Marc the last couple of weeks really did help me.

He kisses my cheek goodbye, he always does.

After he left I walk into the kitchen to see Max eating a sandwich. I peck his cheek quickly and tell him that I love him. He tells me about what they did at Marc's and I'm just happy he remained an amazing father to them.

After my talk with Max I go into my office to check if the week of the convention is also free for me to go on my getaway with Ben. I'd have to reschedule a few meetings, but there's no big event in the way, and I hope it's the same for Ben.

I plop down at the couch in my office and call Ben. He doesn't pick up. I sigh and put my phone down, put my head back and close my eyes. My phone in my hands buzzes shortly. It's a message from Ben, saying he's busy and he'll call later.

I don't hear from him until 10:30 at night, I'm already in bed when I get another message.

„I'm at your gate, can I come in?"

A smile draws on my face. I can't get enough of him around me.

„Wait a sec. Be quiet." I text back while I get up
and go downstairs.

I open the gate with a quick push on the button and go to the front door to see him drive in. I'm happy to see him and cuddle with him, after the fight I had with Leah I need some comfort.

„Hey baby.", I say in a soft whisper as he approaches me.
„Hi.", he says and pecks my lips quickly. Then he walks inside. I'm quick to notice that something seems off.

I follow him to the living room, but I don't want to stay here.
„Let's go upstairs.", I suggest. I don't want one of the kids to walk in and see a man they don't know in our living room.

He takes my hand and walks behind me as we go upstairs. Ben let's go of my hand as soon as we pass the threshold of the bedroom door.

„Are you okay?", I ask and turn around. I reach for his hand and gently take it, but he pushes it away.

I narrow my brows, I'm confused.
„Are you mad at me?", I ask.

„You said Marc wasn't gonna come. You lied.", he says with a stern voice.
„I did not! I didn't know he was gonna come."
„Still, you let him come."
„What am I supposed to do? Throw him out?", I'm a little heated by now so I talk louder to him. I don't understand what he's accusing me of.

Ben rolls his eyes so I continue to talk.
„He wants to take the kids somewhere, so I actually was happy to see you because I wanted to tell you that I can make a whole week free for out getaway.", I proceed in a sweeter and calmer tone.

„So it was just that? Then he left?"
„Papi, what are you implying? That I slept with Marc??", I'm back to mad.

He shakes his head a little and looks down. He takes my hands into his and I let him.

„Hey.", I say to make him look up at my face.
I squeeze his hands a little and he lifts his head and looks into my eyes.

„I'd never do that. Never. I'd never do anything to risk losing you again. I couldn't live through it. Okay?", I speak softly and encouraging. „But...", I continue and inhale deeply. „Marc will forever be a part of my life. That's just the way it is. But you can be sure that nothing's gonna happen, okay? I love you and you're not getting rid of me that easy." I smile at him and eventually he smiles back.

Ben chuckles a little at himself.
„I'm so sorry." Ben pulls me onto his broad chest and surrounds me with his big arms while I wrap my arms around his stomach and lean my face on his chest.

„I'm just... afraid of loosing you again.", he speaks softly while he caresses my head with his palm.

„So am I.", I whisper back.

Ben stays the night. But before the kids wake up or my staff gets here, I sneak him out of the house again.