26 - Step Two

Jennifer's POV

I just got out of the studio and am waiting for Max and Cy to return home from school. If I can make it, I like to be there when they do.

Still I'm working, I got my headphones in and I'm listening to music, writing lyrics. I'm in the living room when they get home.

Max comes to hug me and I put my headphones down.

„Hi baby, good to see you.", I say as we hug.
Cy hugs me too, but they seem different.
„How was school?", I ask.

„Good.", Max answers, while Cy stays quiet and doesn't look me into my eyes.
„What about you?", I ask them.
They shrug their shoulders. „Alright."

„Can we go upstairs?", Max asks.
„Sure.", I say and let them. That gives me the chance to talk to Cy alone. I'll just give them a moment before I go upstairs.

Ten minutes later, I knock at their door.
„Come in.", they say and their voice sounds more quiet then it does usually.

They're on their bed, reading.
I put my hand on their book and lower it, to see their face.

The look on their face confirms what I already thought. Something's wrong.

„You're not feeling good, baby?"
They sigh and shrug their shoulders.
„Is it because you're meeting Ben today? If you don't feel good about it today, we'll find another day.", I say softly and brush my palm over their cheek.

„No.. it's not that.", they say and look down.
„What is it then?"
They stay quiet. „Look, if you don't tell me, there's nothing I can do."
„You can't do anything anyways..."
„Try me.", I say and smile.

They sigh again.
„A kid at school called me... a freak because I... am who I am..."

It hurts me that some stupid kid at school hurt my baby. I pull them in for a hug.
„You know you're not, right? You're perfect the way you are."
Cy nods. „It just doesn't feel nice when people say something like that.", they say.

I squeeze them a little tighter. „I know. And it's okay that you're sad about it. Just don't let people like that bring you down ever."
They nod again and whisper „Okay.".

I break the hug to look at them.
„Want me to call school?", I ask.
„No! Mom. Please don't."
„Okay. Was that the first time?"
They shake their head yes.
„If it happens again, let me know, alright?"
„Yes."

I cup their face.
„Remember you're strong and kind. You're beautiful and perfect just the way you are."
They nod.
„Say it.", I demand.
They roll their eyes.
„Come on.."

„I'm strong and kind. I'm beautiful and perfect the way I am."
„I won't let others determine how I feel about myself. I am worthy of love and all the abundance, life has to offer.", I say.

„I won't let others determine how I feel about myself. I am worthy of love and all the abundance, life has to offer.", Cy repeats after me.

„Good.", I say and smile. „Are you ready to meet Ben later? If not I could still.."
„No, it's okay.", they interrupt me. „Thank you mom."

„Always baby. I love you."
„I love you too."

-

Half an hour later I remember I haven't told Leah yet. Shit. I walk to her room and knock.
„Yes?", she answers and I come inside.
„What are you doing?", I ask her, finding her packing clothes into a suitcase. Leah stands up straight.

„Haven't I told you? I'm having a retreat on the Bahamas for a couple of days. I need to think and.. get my mind straight."
„Oh..."
„I'm sorry I forgot to tell you."
„No no no, it's okay.", I say, relieved that I don't have to tell her right now. Sometimes the universe does work in our favor.

I walk over to hug her. About everything that's going on with Ben, I feel like I left Leah out and that I'm not the friend she needs right now.

„Sorry I was so busy lately, we should've talked more.", I apologize.
„It's okay."
„When you get back, I'll make a day free just for you and we'll do whatever you like, okay?"

I hold her by her shoulders and look at her.
She nods. „O.. okay."

-

A few hours later, Ben arrives. The kids are still upstairs, so we have a moment to ourselves.

Ben hugs me and let's his hands slide down my back, then he softly squeezes my ass as we share a kiss.

„Hi.", I say after we're done. My cheeks are slightly blushed by the heat he just sent through my body.
„Hi.", he replies.

„Are you ready?"
„Yes. I can't wait."
„Mh.", I hum and miss him again.

„I'll go get them, wait in the kitchen for us."

I go upstairs and knock on Max's door first.
He answers and I peak my head inside.
„Ben's here baby."
„Okay."
„I'll get Cy.", I say and Max follows me.

I knock on their door too, they open up and smile. They look a lot happier than they did earlier.
I wrap my arm around their shoulders and pull them close.
„Mo-om!", they complain.
„Okay okay. Let's go downstairs."

Ben's face lightens up when he sees us.
„Hi.", he says with a smile.

„Hi, I'm Max.", Max says and holds out his hand for Ben to take. Like a little adult. They shake hands.

„Nice to meet you Max."

„Hi, I'm Cy.", Cy introduces them and follows their brother's example by holding out her hand to Ben.

„Cy, so good to see you. How are you guys?"

„Good.", they say in unison.

I walk over to Ben and smile at him.
„I heard you like to play switch?", Ben says and wraps one arm around me.

Max nods.
„We do too. My younger kids, Sera and Sam love to play Super Mario. What's you're fave?"

„Zelda.", Max replies.

They get a little bit into talking about gaming while we proceed to go into the dining room to have dinner. They're a little more reserved than Ben's kids had been but I guess that's just the nature of kids being more easy with women in general.

By the end of the night, I watch the three of them sit on the couch, fighting each other on Mario Kart. I stand behind them in awe.

Ben leaves around 10. Max, Cy and him hug goodbye, then I walk him to the door.

„They like you.", I say and wrap my arms
around his neck. I'm happy and relieved that both of us are liked by the other's kids.

„My kids won't stop asking about you and when they'll see you again.", he says and puts his hands on my hips gently.

„Really?"
I'm happy they do. I really see us working out and blending greatly.

„Let's meet tomorrow. All of us. If you're free?", I ask.

„They're with their mom this weekend, but I'll give her a call as soon as I get home."

I nod and kiss him.

After he left I find Max and Cy still playing switch.
„Okay, enough for today.", I say to them.

„But moooom, I'm beating Max!"
„No you're not!", Max exclaims.

„Alright, last round, then you'll turn it off."

They don't answer me and it drives me nuts.
„Can I get a yes?"

„Yeees.", they both say annoyed.
„Thank you."

I just sit, watch them play and enjoy being around them.