Running Away

I watched as my father packed a small gunnysack.

"Father? What on earth are you doing? Are we going somewhere?" I asked him quizzically.

"We are getting out of here Sienna." he replied nervously. "They'll be coming for Bae sooner rather than later and I don't want him to go off and die in the ogre wars."

"like you should have." I muttered under my breath. He looked shocked at me.

"would you have rather been fatherless? Because that's what you would have been if I had died in the war all those years ago."

"Of course i would not have rather been fatherless. Far from it! but now this whole family is a disgrace! Mother left you and then you killed her!" I screamed and ran into the other room. Bae was outside, probably being bullied by the other kids. It had been 8 years since father had killed mother, and we still hadn't told him. father and I told him that Hook had killed her. He had cried every night and I had held him close, shooing my father away often when he got to close. I still often went to Bae, but he never came to me.

•••••••later that night•••••••

we left at the stroke of midnight. father limped on his cane and often tripped over the cloak he wore. Bae and I kept a good pace with him, both of our hoods up over our faces. Father was sure that we would make it far by morning, but it was late and none of us had gotten any sleep. Then we heard a wagon. Father gestured Bae and I onto the the side of the road as he crept back, holding his swored out. Then, an ugly, tall man road by. He looked at my father and stopped.

"Do you folks need help?" He asked us. "You lot look like you could use a rest."

"Are you offering?" My father asked as I crept out of the shadows, my arm holding Bae back slightly, just in case.

"why sure!" The man retorted "I could take you all down to my cabin and you could rest up there." My father nodded.

"that would very kind of you." My father said, lowering his sword, but not exactly letting his guard down.