My Dad, The Dark One

Me and Darren were hidden in the shadows of my house. He held my waist tighly and closely and  wrapped my arms around his neck as we kissed. It had been about a  month after my father became the Dark One, and Darren stayed loyal. Then we just stood there, looking into each others eyes and smiling like fools.  The we heard yelling and looked to see my brother getting hollered a tby a man with wagon.

"What're you doing in the middle of the road!" He yelled as Bae got up and limped over to the side.

"I'm sorry sir." He said. Then the man saw Bae's face and reconized him. His face immediately changd .

"Hey don't worry about it. It was the donkey's fault. Should you like a chicken? Or something?" I knew he was trying to get out of trouble.  Bae began to tell the man that he was fine, when we all heard a voice that everyone dreaded. My father's.

"What's going on here?" He asked. I pushed Darren further into the shadows. Father didn't know about him, and that's how it would remain.

"Nothing." Bae quickly told him

"It was my fault, I wasn't watching where I was going." The man stuttered.  "But he says that he's fine."

"I'm fine Papa, really" Bae told him. I stepped a little out if the shadows, in case I needed to intervene.

"Are you sure Bae?" My father asked him. Bae nodded and told him yes.

"It won't happen again." The man quickly told father. Then, father asked the man

"What's that?" I went around and saw that Bae had a small cut right under his knee.

"It's nothing!" Bae quickly told father right when the man said it, but my father stopped him.

"Don't, bother." He told the man. Then he turned the man into a snail! 

"Papa don't!" Bae begged as father began to walk over to the snail

"Please!" I shouted, feeling hot tears in my eyes. "Father don't!" But it was too late. He stepped on the snail, and killed him. Then he pulled Bar close to him and walked him into the house. I was about to turn around and run away with the rest of te village, but father used his magic to  pull me towards him. I struggled against the force, trying to fight him, but I couldn't. He led Bas and I into the house and we were greeted with a curtsy by our maid,.

"Thank you Anoura." Father told her. "Now you can go fetch our dinner." She nodded, then left . I went to the cupboard to get our first aid kit while Bae hoisted his leg up onto a chair and pulled up the leg of his pants to show me the cut. It was noting more than a scrape. "Here, allow me." Father told me as I came over with dried leaves that we had mixed up into a liquid. My father held up a glowing hand and began to lower it onto Bae's scrape, a when Bae stopped  him.

"I don't want magic." He told father. Father looked shocked to here this.

"But it could heal you." He told Bae.

" so can this." Bae replied. The n held out his knee to me and I began to wipe it clean. He winced as the liquid stung. As I worked, Bae spoke to father. "You're different now. Don't you realise that?" Father looked hurt..

"I created a truce in the ogres war Bae. I walked into the middle of the battle field and made it stop. I led the children home.  Surely a man who  saved a thousand lives-"

"Is done." I cut him off as dabbed at Bae's wound with the cloth. "A man who saved a thousand lives could be done with it. You can stop doing things!"  I then packed up the kit and put it away. Father continued to talk.

"I need more power." He told us. I slammed the cuboard shut and turned to look at him.

"What on earth  could you possibly need MORE power for?" I spewed out my words.

"To protect the two of you." He replied.

"We wouldn't need protecting if you didn't have the power!" Bae retorted.

"Well I can't get rid of it!" Father face got a little red as he said this.

"Have you tried?" Bae and I asked at the same time. He looked at us very seriously.

"Tried?" He came over to the table and pulled out a long knife that had his name written on it. Rumpelstiltskin. "If someone kills me, with this." He told us. "Then they gain the power. Now you both know that. Is that what you want?"

"That's not what we want!" Bae exclaimed.

"We just think that there are other ways to get rid of the powers." I said as Anoura walked into the house with a stew. Father put the knife away as she set the stew on the table. Even though she was mute, father always worried about her hearing about the knife. I stood up and walked our of the room, having lost my appetite, and my will to be with my father