Chapter 40

Malarie's POV

"I don't care Malarie! I will not tolerate lying in my house. Now were you on the phone with that creep again?" My dad yelled at me.

Long story short, he heard shouting coming from my room. Of course it was Jason going off on me. But I simply told my dad, it was my TV, and that I was so engrossed I was yelling at it. Lame excuse, I know.

"Dad I told you, it was just me yelling at Matty on Awkward. I wasn't talking to him." I lied through my teeth, as I sipped on my coffee. "I know I heard a man's voice... and the fact that you lie to my face, it disgust me." He spoke with such disappointment, continuing  to drive my brother and me to school.

My dad has become so much harder on me lately. Now that he knows I was dating my kidnapper. He looks at me like I'm a piece of trash. He had always, looked at me like I was the most important thing in the world.

It could be a simple conversation, yet he can incorporate me dating a criminal in it. He and my brother Greg barely look at me. When they do, it's usually a shake of the head. Or a prolonged sigh. Since I'm eighteen, my dad doesn't do much discipline. Though he does give me a curfew, since I'm still living in his house.

"Can you pass me some ketchup Mal?" Jaden asked from the backseat. We went to McDonald's this morning, for breakfast. "Yeah sure." I dug in the bag, pulling out a couple of ketchup packets. "Here you go."

"Thanks sis. You know you look really pretty today." I shyly smiled. Jaden always knows how to make me feel better. "Thank you bro." I turned around in my seat, giving him a huge grin.

"There's no need to thank me, you are always beautiful." He shrugged, eating his food.

He reminds me of someone. Ah... Cal! I miss him so darn much.

"Why are you even dressed up today?" Dad asked me, as we were stopped at a stop light. "I have a big group presentation today." He nodded, continuing to drive.

All of sudden I got that sudden urge to be sick again. All because the smell of ketchup. "Jaden please don't eat anymore ketchup. It smells nasty." I closed my eyes, inwardly counting to three.

"Why you like ketchup yourself? Its bomb as hell, and plus I love it on my hash browns." He waved the packet by my nose. "Please Jaden, the smell is making me feel weird." Turning to him, I begged with my eyes.

"Fine... you are so lucky, I already ate it. I was just going to suck the rest out the other ones." He playfully rolled his eyes. "You're gross, you know that right?" I laughed at him, while feeling my dad's stare on me.

"You don't like ketchup anymore?" I silently gulped, shaking my head. In reality I enjoy putting ketchup on my food. It's just it smells really gross today. "Hmm well that's weird, you always put it on your food." He confusingly stated matter-of-factly.

"Yeah I know... it's just today I'm not feeling too well. I think I may be coming down with the flu or something." I rubbed my aching temples.

"I see, well maybe tomorrow you can stay home, if you're still not feeling well. We're here, you two have a good day." He pulled up outside my and Jaden's school.

"Thanks dad, see you later." Jaden got out the car, waiting outside for me. "Bye daddy-dad, uh see you after school." I gathered up my things, ready to get out.

"Wait Malarie. I apologize for yelling at you earlier, I just can't trust you fully. I hope you have a good day." He smiled, patting my knee." I will, you have a good day too dad." I got out the car, waving goodbye.

:::

"You look really sexy today." My best friend Cierra complimented, as we walked out of our Honors History class. "Well thank you beautiful." I slapped her butt, as we walked through our health class.