Chapter 3

Xin checked herself at the mirror after preparing. It's the agreed date for their hang out. She is no vampire but she doesn't quite like the sunlight. She has a very, very, very fair complexion. Just a simple pinch will leave a red mark on her skin for quite a while. When Veronica teased her while pinching her cheeks, the red mark stayed for a whole day. She wore a white with green stripes crew neck t-shirt, a bit oversized dark, denim jacket. She also wore dark, denim jeans which she folded to show her ankles. She also wore her white superstar sneakers.

She let her long, straight, black hair fall on her back. She's glad that she doesn't use any other products on her hair aside from the usual shampoo and conditioner. So, it's naturally black, healthy, and shiny. Veronica is jealous of her hair. Xin's hair is similar to her grandma's hair in her younger days. Veronica, on the other hand, has light brown hair similar to their mother. Xin's got gray eyes with a bluish while Veronica has brown eyes similar to their mother. The only thing they both got from their father is their height. Xin is 5'7" while Veronica is 5'8". Xin's muscles are more toned than Veronica's. Veronica has always been so clumsy ever since the world has begun. Veronica is a good cook though.

She relaxed herself and went out of her room. Her sister and her friends were already waiting for her at the garage. She told them that she will use her own car for now. It was to make sure that nothing bad will happen between her and Amara and Cherry. They are nice people but she felt like Amara and Cherry were stealing glances of her while she was busy washing the dishes during that time that they were in their house. It made her uncomfortable so she locked herself up inside her room.

Xin knows that the color of her eyes is unusual. She was the only one who has inherited her grandma's genes when it comes to physical features. A lot of girls wanted to be friends with her when she was in high school. She rejected their friendship because of her own space. She has a world of her own and she couldn't be bothered by anyone at that time. She quit school after the incident with Mr. Denver and was just homeschooled.

"Let's go. I'll be right behind you." Xin told the others after preparing the keys to her Range Rover.

"Xin, Let Heidi ride in your car," Veronica said.

Xin stopped what she was doing and looked at Heidi and her sister.

"Will it be okay for you to ride in my car?"

Heidi nodded and smiled so wide. "I'd love to! I'll guide you with the directions."

Xin hid her discomfort. Being near a total stranger is hard for her.

She tried to act normal when she went with Veronica to the mall before. Her eyes and her body were so active at that time. She wasn't able to concentrate even with Veronica trying to comfort her. They were only able to spend just 30 minutes inside the mall.

She asks herself every day if her other people can also get the same "sickness" as her. She thought that she's the only one with this "sickness" in this world.

Xin and Heidi both got inside the car. She needed to change for Veronica and her grandma.

"Uhm, are you alright?" Heidi asked.

"Yeah," Xin answered and didn't bother looking at her.

Heidi looked at Xin's features. She really is beautiful. Veronica has always talked about Xin's problem. Heidi tried to research Xin's condition without success. She couldn't bear telling Veronica that Xin's "sickness" is something that can't be cured. She doesn't want Veronica to be devastated upon hearing the truth.

"Do you think they will be fine without someone else with them?" Amara asked Veronica when they got inside Veronica's car.

"Xin is kind. She wouldn't do anything that could hurt Heidi." Veronica answered as she started her car's engine. She needed to do it for Xin. She wanted for her sister to be free from her own cage. A cage she made to protect herself from those who don't belong in her own world. Veronica knows that Xin is suffering deep inside her heart even though she doesn't talk that much.

"Your sister is really beautiful," Cherry said.

"She is," Veronica said with a proud smile on her face.

"If she finally finds someone special like that of yours and Heidi, what would you do?" Amara asked.

Veronica bit her cheek and tightened her grip on the steering wheel which made her hands turn white. She didn't like the idea of Xin having someone special. She has always been the one who has protected Xin from everyone else. Xin always ran to her for pieces of advice. She is so used to always having Xin with her and how Xin has always looked up to her. Veronica knows that she's being selfish. She wants to savor her moments with Xin until the time that she gets better from her "sickness."

Amara and Cherry chuckled when they noticed that Veronica was silent.

"You do realize that you're sometimes acting like a big brother to Xin, right? It's like you wouldn't want your sister to be snatched away from you by a total stranger. Remember, she needs to be around people to be able for her sickness to be cured. She is already at the right age for dating too. Don't act selfishly now when you were the one who kept your relationship with Heidi from her for a long time." Amara lectured.

Veronica groaned, then sighed loudly. "I know. It's just that Xin is a very complicated person even though she's my sister. She seldom smiles at me. She's also not acting quite like a clingy sister to me."

"Aww... so our Veronica is lonely." Cherry teased as she laughed. Amara and Cherry gave each other a high five to piss off Veronica.

Veronica glared at them. "Shut up! You think I didn't notice how BOTH of you were stealing glances of my sister? And here I thought YOU BOTH are STRAIGHT." She smirked.

Cherry and Amara glared at her making her smile so wide.

"I  AM straight," Cherry said.

"It's just that your sister is really beautiful. No harm in staring." Amara said in defense.

Veronica just rolled her eyes to them. She had a knowing smile though. "Sure. Just DON'T blame me if YOU STRAIGHT people fall for her." She said mockingly.