Chapter 35

Xin's POV

I was staring at the girl who suddenly became quiet. Everyone who heard was not able to say a word. The angel glared at me as she rubbed the girl's back to soothe her even though she didn't notice her presence. The girl got up and then walked towards me. She stopped in front of me and made eye contact.

"Cassandra...is my name. Can we talk in private? I don't want them to hear about this." She whispered to me. She was getting anxious. Her friends looked at her with confusion and worry in their eyes.

"Sure." I looked at the girls. "Just wait for me here, okay? We'll talk for just a few minutes."

They all nodded even though they were confused. They know that I never talk to strangers, not unless Seraph takes over my body.

"She does smell..like...hell?" Seraph told me. I agreed with her.

We went outside the cafeteria and stood under a tree. There were other people on the place just minding their own stuff.

The angel kept glaring at me while she clung to Cassandra. She was in protective mode.

"I don't know who you are, but please...don't blurt it out in front of my friends. How did you know that I am...about to die? Only my family knows about this." Her expression was blank, so were her eyes.

I took a few steps to get near her. Her breathing stopped for a while when I tried to inhale her scent. Her soul has been given to a demon, so I gave the angel a questioning look. If her soul was offered to a demon because someone made a deal with a demon, then why didn't the angel stop her? The angel got confused when I clicked my tongue out of frustration.

"Did you do anything....like some sort of ritual?" I looked intensely at her face to make sure that she wouldn't lie to me.

Cassandra looked at me like I was insane. So, she still doesn't know yet that she has a contract with a demon. The angel also looked puzzled and wanted to speak with me.

"No...and what is your name?" Cassandra looked like she was getting irate.

"Xin."

"Let me ask you again...Xin. How did you know about me? That I am about to die?" She crossed her eyes and gave me a piercing look.

"I smell death in you. That's the kind of death scent that humans don't normally have. I wouldn't have cared if it was the normal scent of death in humans, but yours...is just not normal."

Cassandra's face became pale, her eyes went wide.

"I think someone from your family or friends summoned a demon and made a deal with him. They sold your soul to that demon. That is the reason you are dying. If you want me to help you live and break the contract, you need to find out first who that person is."

"Y-You're not a...human?" Her voice was so weak that it almost sounded like a whisper. "That can't be..."

The angel looked like she was shocked by what I just said. She had no idea.

"I'm a human, just half. It seems like you believe in supernaturals. You didn't even flinch when I told you about having sold your soul to a demon.

Cassandra let out a shaky breath. She scratched her hair and tucked her hair behind her ears. "M-My father...loves demons. There were times when I saw him do occult stuff. My mom...she died from an illness too. I thought that I was...I thought that I inherited her illness." It looked like her world was crumbling right in front of her. "But...father loves js. He wouldn't do this to us."

"We're not certain yet if he's the one who really sold your soul. I need to see for myself."

"Your friends...are they, not humans too?"

"They are humans. Do not worry."

Cassandra sighed in relief, but it was still apparent in her expression that she was hurt.

The angel floated behind me. "You can save her?"

I nodded without Cassandra noticing.

"How could I have let something like this happen?" The angel looked disappointed in herself. "I have always been the one protecting her since she was born. How could I be so careless?"

I looked at her sad eyes and cleared my throat. Cassandra looked up and met my eyes again.

"I'll help you." I offered my hand to her.

She looked at my hand. "You don't even know me. Why would you help me?"

I thought about it carefully. Why would I help her? It was the first time I met her. I just shrugged. "Don't you want to live longer?"

"I want to."

"Then just shut up and let me help you," I told her in a commanding tone. I grabbed her hand and shook it. I gave her my mobile phone number.

"That's my girl. Let's help women who need help."

Cassandra was just quiet until we got back to where everyone was. Her friends ran fast towards her. J gave her a look before we parted ways.

"Another woman of yours?" Veronica asked me.

That question made my three girlfriends look at me.

I rolled my eyes. "No. I just need to help her with something." I explained to all of them. I didn't want them to get the wrong idea.

Before they could all speak, a group of people called out to Veronica.

"Hey, Vicky!" They greeted her.

Heidi wrapped her arms around Veronica's arm. Her expression became blank.

Veronica was being polite, so she smiled at them. "Hey, guys."

I frowned when Heidi leaned her head on Veronica's shoulder.

She's usually not too clingy with Veronica. They flirt a lot when they're alone, not when they're in public.

"Heidi is jealous. A lot of them wanted to court Veronica even when they knew that the two were dating. Men...huh....?" Amara whispered to me.

My eyes flickered when a boy touched Veronica's shoulder while smiling widely at her. Heidi's expression became dark.

"We have a party tonight. Come to my house. I know you don't do parties, but this is our senior year. You have to at least experience what a college party is like." The guy gave Veronica a flirty smile while his hand was still placed on Veronica's shoulder.

Heidi slapped the guy's hand. "You just can't freely be touchy with her."

The guy lifted his hands in surrender. "Sorry, but we still want you to come."

"I will have to decline, but thanks for the invite." Veronica smiled and grabbed Heidi's waist. "My finacée here, and I still have a lot of planning to do for our wedding."

I smirked while the others gasped upon hearing what Veronica just said. They were totally surprised. Amara and Cherry squealed as they clapped their hands.

"Congratulations! Who was the one who proposed?" Amethyst jumped excitedly and then gave Heidi a tight hug.

"Veronica did. I'm sorry for not informing you, girls." Heidi said as she smiled so widely.

The group of annoying boys and girls became uncomfortable. They still congratulated them though. They all left after.

"When did you do it?" I asked Veronica.

"At home, in my room. We were fighting and I got...emotional and just blurted it out." Veronica blushed.

I smiled and hugged her. "Finally. I have been waiting for you to do it. Heidi is officially my sister. Congratulations!"

"Thank you, Xin." She patted my back.

I also hugged Heidi.I looked at my two sisters. I'm so happy for them. Veronica can finally let goof me and focus on her soon to be family. I don't want her to give me all herattention. She needs to be happy even without me in the picture