Chapter Two

Eveline sat up, placing a hand on the side of her head. Maybe she should have drank that Wiggenweld potion, but now it was smashed to the ground. The stranger before her handed her one he must have been carrying, "Here. You can have this one."

"No thanks. I don't take potions from strangers." She reflected, standing up to dust herself off.

She looked to see he was gazing at her with an incredulous expression. The corner of his lip turned upwards like he was also in disbelief, "Sebastian Sallow. I've been assigned to be your partner starting today." He grabbed her hand, placing the potion down a little aggressively on her palm, "Are we still strangers now?"

Eveline stared at him blankly. Partners?

Pride and Prejudiced

"I didn't ask for a partner." Her eyebrows furrowed, "Who said you were to be my partner?"

Sebastian pointed to the potion in her hand, "If you lose consciousness again, I'm letting you hit the floor. Drink it and maybe I'll tell you."

"Rude." Eveline scowled, uncapping the vial and bringing it to her lips. She swallowed the floral essence, scrunching her nose at the taste. "Now, will you tell me?"

The wizard regarded her coolly for a moment. "Nope." He shrugged and looked around, "Where are they taking that Witch? She was under the Imperius Curse. She's not the one in trouble is she?"

"She's likely going to-" Eveline shook her head hastily. "Wait-Let me see your Auror license."

Sebastian raised his eyebrow, "I don't have one. I'm not an Auror."

Eveline blinked and stared at him for a moment. "Is St. Mungo's missing an escaped patient? Sir, I can help you find your way-"

"First off," Sebastian held a hand up to stop her babble, "If you don't believe me we can go to Whitehall right now and get it sorted out. Second off, don't call me Sir unless we're in the bedroom. I am only 24."

The red haired witch raised her eyebrows and mimicked him, "First off, I don't believe you. Second off, I'd rather get hit with the Cruciatus Curse again."

Eveline ignored his humored expression and Apparated into the Atrium. The Atrium was a grand area that had heavy foot traffic as people navigated the different levels beneath Whitehall. It was a long and high ceilinged hall with different golden symbols etched into the blue tiles littering the walls. Fireplaces were on either sides of the Atrium, allowing for visitors and workers to enter the Hall. Sebastian appeared a few moments later through one of them with an unreadable expression.

"Lead the way." Sebastian gestured for her to head towards the lift.

Eveline didn't answer him, frowning as they headed to the second level. The Department of Magical Law Enforcement was the largest place in Whitehall. Through a set of enormous oak doors, it revealed the Auror Office. It was another immense open area with a wooden floor and a ceiling that reminded her of the Hogwarts Great Hall. It was tall with floating candles providing a soft lighting around the room. Each Auror had their own cubicle and Eveline was immensely proud of hers. It had a poster board with all the cases she'd solved along with a detailed record of cases she wasn't assigned, but trying to closely follow on her own. Lucian often teased her about sticking to patrol duty whereas Garreth was a little kinder, giving her bits and pieces of information she wasn't privy to.