Chapter Thirty One

"You shouldn't have let yourself get distracted," He agreed, chastising lightly. Sebastian gave her a stern look, "You also shouldn't have gone down there alone. I know why you did, but the next time you decide to do something dumb and dangerous-which is quite often-make sure I'm with you."

With a sigh and a nod, Eveline knew that to a certain extent-he was right. "I'm really concerned about how much Leander has had to do with everything as of late. Stalking, buying spider venom, giving Garreth a love potion-for what purpose? What plans of Rookwood's is he carrying out? And why has no one stopped him yet?"

Sebastian's voice was deadly as he spoke. His words heavy in the air. "I'm not sure. But he's going to regret me finding out."

Tick Tock Goes the Clock

Anne was cross with both her brother and Ominis which was a sight to behold. She had made little appetizers to eat that consisted hard boiled eggs cut in half and filled with a mixture of crab meat. Sebastian hated seafood. Ominis hated hard boiled eggs. Anne cooked fried cod with sliced potatoes. The potatoes were roasted with garlic and butter. Sebastian hated fish. Ominis hated garlic-found it too pungent for his sharpened sense of smell. So she made it with extra garlic.

Sebastian looked at Ominis' plate and proceeded to switch out their food with no rebuttal from his blind best friend. Ominis had two fried pieces of Cod and it appeared that Sebastian would be eating an entire plate of potatoes for dinner. Eveline kept glancing towards the kitchen, wondering if she should make him something, but when she went to stand up-Sebastian pulled her back down and kept his hand on her thigh.

His sister eyed them both, "Are you two...?"

"Yes. She's infatuated with me and I pitied the poor girl." Sebastian ate a few bites of the potatoes with a glum expression, "You roasted these in the left over fish oil didn't you?"

She smiled innocently, "Better than prison food, no?"

He scooted the plate away, "Worse. I preferred bread and water. And here I was going to tell you both the truth."

Eveline brushed his hand away, "Tell them. I'll see what I have in the fridge to make."

"You don't have to do that." Anne reached down into the basket she'd brought and pulled out sandwiches that looked like ones Sirona often made. "I stopped by and picked these up. I was waiting to see how long you'd both last."

Ominis frowned, "You're cruel. But the fish is delicious."

"Then I'll eat both of these." Sebastian took the sandwiches greedily and bit into one of them, making a humming noise. "Did you tell her these were for me? There's extra peppers."

Anne nodded, "I told her one of them was for you." She turned her attention to Ominis, "You can have one of those if you wish."

Ominis waved her off, "I'll be fine with the fish. Seb, what was it you wanted to tell us?"

Sebastian procrastinated for a few minutes, finishing the sandwich in record time before he started to explain to them what had happened that night with Solomon and the Rookwoods. When it got to the part about Solomon, Anne had tried to be defiant at first-that he would never turn his wand against Sebastian, but Ominis had interjected that she only knew one side to Solomon. He also told her to hush in the nicest way possible because her not believing Sebastian made it pointless for him to continue if she was going to assume he was lying.