Chapter Twenty Three

"You could stay here." Eveline offered, careful to keep her tone even.

He got off her, and put his trousers back on. Sebastian shook his head firmly, "That's not a good idea, pumpkin."

She raised an eyebrow, "And why's that?"

"Because we'll shower together. Be intimate again somehow. Of course I have plenty of ideas." He swallowed, looking away from her. "We'll lie together and whisper sweet promises. You'll fall in love with me and then I'll leave you." He sighed and shook his head, "Our bodies are good physically together. It's just a physical attraction we have. Don't let it get to your head."

"Who are you trying to convince? Yourself? Or me?" Eveline challenged.

Sebastian looked at her firmly. "Both of us."

And then we was gone.

He Apparated back to his room, she figured. Eveline sighed and laid back down on the loveseat. It was far too late for Sebastian to be warning her now. Being a little intimate with him did nothing for getting him out of her system. She wanted him more. And not just his body.

Eveline was already falling in love with him.

He was too late.

The Better Part of Me

Eveline spent the entire day arguing with herself. At this point she was going to turn into Jekyll and Hyde. Except one side was rational, telling her to keep Sebastian at an arm's length, and the other side of her was her heart. It told her to be patient and love him. Wait for him to accept her into his heart.

She welcomed the cold air as she walked to Anne's cottage. In her hands she held a ceramic dish that held shortbread cookies. Unsurprisingly, Anne sent her an owl to see if she'd make cookies for dessert.

What she didn't expect was to see Sebastian in an all black suit coming from the Hogs Head Inn as she strolled past. He didn't see her, his head ducked down as he placed a few pieces of parchment into the back pocket of his trousers.

Her eyes narrowed as she brandished her wand. "Accio."

The rustling noise of the parchment caught his attention more than the feeling of the papers slipping out.

Sebastian whirled, his wand pointed at her as the papers reached her hand. "Are you out of your mind? I thought you were..."

Eveline ignored him, reading over the letter with one hand.

Mr. Sallow,

Or should I say Sebastian? We've known each other quite a long time now, haven't we? Ten years. You would think in that ten years, you'd have learn something. My father died for this cause and I will see to it that it gets finished. The relic may have been destroyed, but my ambitions have not.

Just as your curse hasn't been. She's prettier than the last. I like the red hair.

Sincerest Regards,

VR

Her eyes met Sebastian's over the parchment. "You don't get the choice this time. After dinner, you're coming back to mine."