Chapter Thirteen

"I'm glad I've been in this house with two strangers for all of five minutes and you're sharing personal details about me." Eveline muttered to no one in particular.

The wizard beside her grinned, "Of course she was absolutely furious I got a peak and so she casted the slug-vomiting curse on me."

Ominis and Anne had amused smiles on their face, but now they broke out in laughter. Anne's smile was larger than life. "You're kidding. Was he furious?"

"He swore at me in Gaelic." Eveline mused, "Has he always been so impetuous?"

Ominis leaned forward, placing his elbows on the tops of his knees, "Not sure. Seeing as he hasn't contacted us much in the past eight years, he might as well be a stranger."

No one said anything for a moment as the tension in the room became so thick, Eveline was convinced she could use Diffindo to slice through it.

Anne nodded in agreement. "Seb. It's time. We deserve an explanation. Now."

The Truth Hurts

Sebastian ran a hand through his hair, shoulders taut with disconcertment. "Shouldn't we dine and celebrate first? Dealing with familial trauma on an empty stomach is the leading cause for indigestion."

"You abandoned them eight years ago, what makes you think you have a choice when to give them an explanation?" Eveline rolled her eyes and then grimaced when she saw Sebastian casting her a look.

Anne was watching them both and beamed, "I like her." To Eveline she added, "To provide some context to whatever Sebby decides to tell us, in my fifth year at Hogwarts, I became really sick."

"You weren't sick, you were cursed." Sebastian corrected coldly, "By some Dark wizards because you saw them robbing someone in an alley."

Eveline felt sick. It reminded of her of a time where she watched her parents get robbed. Then they paid with their lives.

"Regardless, it only lasted about half a year because the curse broke." Anne amended with a frown. "Ominis and my brother did a lot of things to try and help me, but it broke on its own."

Ominis shook his head, "Don't credit me. Sebastian was the only one who tried to find ways to break it. I wanted to be there to help you through it."

Anne nodded and was silent for a moment, "I know you're an Auror, but I trust what is said in this house will stay here." At Eveline's nod, she persisted, "Sebby got into the Dark Arts trying to help me."

"I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm not." Eveline muttered, remembering when he casted the Cruciatus Curse flawlessly. Sebastian looked pleased, likely remembering it as well. "Is the Dark Arts what helped break the curse?"

"Not at all," Anne's gaze dropped, her smile faltering for a moment. "The more I wanted to live, the more the curse pained me. When I...When I decided I didn't want to live anymore, the curse broke. Cruel really."

Eveline frowned. "Did they ever find the people who cursed you?"

"No." Ominis shook his head, "I hoped that one day, I'd hear about a similar case. It was one of the reasons I became a curse breaker for the Ministry."