Chapter Eight

The other Ex-Auror didn't move from the spot next to the cell door. Eveline saw Anne now as she slowly stood up. Her heart sank into her stomach as Anne turned around. Her body was covered in more grime and dust than her clothing. Her pale face was wrinkled with no laugh lines. These lines formed from her face contorting in pain all the time. Water marks ran down her face showing that she often cried. And as she glanced at her hands, Eveline thought she could see dark magic swirling about.

Maniacal laughter broke out and without warning she charged the door, her bloodied hands outstretched unnaturally, and aiming directly for Eveline. As if her heart could sink any lower from the sight. She was paralyzed with fear.

Nerves

An arm wrapped around the front of her waist and she was pulled backwards abruptly. She felt herself falling with someone, but luckily for her it was a soft landing. Sebastian on the other hand swore colorfully as he threw his other arm back to try and soften his fall.

Clutching the bars, Anne was making a harsh cackling noise with a sinister grin that was all too large for her face. Eveline was upset. Upset at how unsettled she was, upset at how afraid she was to be here, and upset that Sebastian had to be the one to save her from an imminent threat. She was the Auror. She was supposed to be the distinguished graduate who was top of her class and far better than any other Auror around her age. How was she able to call herself an Auror if Azkaban and its occupants terrified her?

Helen looked appalled at Anne as she shook herself more than the metal bars she tried to break with her bare hands. Blood from her hands dribbled down the bars that were caked with dirt and rust. "Anne, we're here to help you?"

"Help?" She repeated the foreign word between another bout of laughter. "Methinks you should have done that years ago. Year ago. Years."

Eveline got off Sebastian's lap, holding her hand out, but he blatantly ignored it and stood up on his own. He dusted his trousers off, annoyed. "Crazy old bat."

"Cursed to never." She sang off key, looking at Sebastian, "Never, never never. If you do, dead she'll be."

Sebastian stilled, pulling his wand out. "How would you know?"

Her smile revealed decaying teeth. "Never, never, never. Killer you'll be."

"This is getting nowhere." Eveline snapped and looked at Anne seriously. "If you want to leave this place, let us help you."

Anne turned her head until she couldn't physically do it anymore. "I don't. I don't want to. Killy kill. Give me death."

Eveline looked to Helen. "What now?"

"What's done may be irreversible." Helen regarded with a scowl at the shape Anne was in. "I'll at least keep trying to clear her name. We need to leave now. We've been here far too long already."

The younger Auror didn't hesitate, grabbing Sebastian's hand and Apparating back to Helen's cottage in Upper Hogsfield. Sebastian pulled his hand away as if her touch burned her. Irritation injected itself into her bloodstream.

"I'll send you an owl and we can keep in touch." Eveline offered, but didn't step back into the home. "It's time for us to head back."

Helen nodded in a bid of farewell, but she didn't say anything. Separately this time, they Apparated back into the Atrium where they headed for Eveline's cubicle. It was mid afternoon now, but Garreth wasn't in sight nor was Lucian. They must either be patrolling or working another case.