Chapter Five

Garreth narrowed his eyes into slits as he loathed, "Bugger off Sallow."

"Can't. Me and pumpkin are joined at the hip now. Partners and all." He winked, mirthfully enjoying getting on Garreth's last nerve.

Eveline changed the subject quickly-getting back on track, "We'll be there first thing tomorrow. Is there anything for today?"

Lucan and Garreth wore matching grimaces, but it was Garreth who told her. "Patrol duty in Hogsmeade."

Of. Course.

Love and Hate

The clouds overhead reflected the storm in her eyes. Sebastian was wearing a dark blue tall-coat that matched her Auror uniform. They walked side by side down the main cobblestone street in Hogsmeade. She spotted there weren't many students with it being a Monday morning, but plenty of adult wizards and witches going about.

"So...." Eveline began, glancing towards Sebastian, "You mentioned you don't have a preference in regards to books, but do you have a favorite?"

He was quiet for a moment, mulling her question over. "I don't believe it's possible to have a favorite book. There's a book for every occasion. Do you have a favorite?"

Eveline smiled, testing him. "'These people hated me with the hatred of cupidity and disappointment. As a matter of course, they fawned upon me in prosperity with the basest meanness.'"

Sebastian's eyebrow raised skeptically. "Great Expectations? How boring could you be?"

"Boring?!" Her loud voice caused people to look over and Eveline lowered her voice with reddening cheeks. "How is a story so based around self-improvement and ambition boring?"

They bickered as they walked Northeast in Hogsmeade, specifically towards Hogsmeade Square where most mischievousness typically occurred. The statue depicting Hufflepuff Hengist of Woodcroft was proudly pointing to the foreboding sky as it stood next to a warped tree. Sebastian stood in front of her as she dusted one of the stone seating benches off and sat down.

"Pip's only trait is being an immature, romantically inclined, idealistic fool." Sebastian shook his head, "The only reason I finished the book was because I kept thinking 'this abhorrently dull book cannot get any worse.' Spoiler: it did." He pointed out.

Her eyebrows shot up, "He was a kid. He matured by the end of the book and realized that the most important qualities one can possess is kindness and the ability to love one another."

"Love?" Sebastian's face resembled disgust, a frown pulling down at his lips. "Love is the undoubtedly the most useless and atrocious feeling there is."

Shock made the words fall out of her mouth, "What? Sebastian there have been wars fought over love. Love of religion, love of country-hate and love are the most primitive natural instincts."

"By that logic, if there were no love-there would be no wars. Sounds as if it's useless now, doesn't it?"

Eveline looked at him incredulously, "Hate also is a cause for war. One cannot exist without the other. If you know hatred, then you know love."

"Wrong, pumpkin." Sebastian reflected darkly, "I hate a lot of things. But I have never loved anyone and I will never love anyone."

She pursed her lips, wanting to argue more. How could he call Pip narrow-minded when the brute in front of her was also of the same mind. Decidedly, she changed the subject. "Fine. If you have no favorite, then what book have you reread the most as of late?"