Burning the Candle

(Short chapter.)

A glum Ruby is resting her head on her hand and staring into the distance before she is startled by someone slamming their palms on the table she is at.

Weiss smiles. "I need you to pick a tablecloth." She slides two squares over to Ruby, both seeming to be similar shades of white.

"Aren't they both the same?" Ruby asks in confusion.

Weiss sighs in frustration. "I don't even know why I asked." She walks off.

Ruby becomes all mopy again.

Yin and Yang walk over and set a couple massive speakers behind Ruby, which causes her and the table to bounce. Yang brushes her hands together as she walks up beside Ruby, and Yin stretches as he walks up beside Ruby.

"So, have you picked out a dress yet?" Yang asks Ruby.

"What's the point?" Ruby asks. "Who cares about the dance if lake isn't going?"

"Oh, don't worry. She's going."

"Oh, you got a plan?" Yin asks Yang.

"Oh, you know it!" Yang smiles. "Yang's master plan will work!" She looks to the side. "Weiss! I thought we agreed! No doilies!"

Weiss walks up to Yang, pointing in her face. "If I don't get doilies, you don't get fog machines."

The doors to the ballroom opens and Neptune and Sun enter.

"Your dance is gonna have fog machines?" Neptune asks.

"Honestly, that'd be pretty cool." Yin says with excitement.

"We were thinking about it." Weiss informs.

"That's pretty cool." Neptune says.

"You ladies all excited to dress up?" Sun asks, and Weiss lightly glares at him.

"Pfft... Yeah, right!" Ruby says.

"Laugh all you want. I'll be turning heads tomorrow night." Yang states.

"With what, your ugly looks?" Yin asks.

Yang glares at him. "at least I'm better looking then you!"

"Hey, I'm the most handsome man in school." Yin gains a smug look. "I'll be turning heads tomorrow."

"Away from you."

The two glares at each other.

Weiss, deciding to ignore the siblings, turns to Neptune and Sun. "What are you two wearing?"

"Uuhhh... this?" Sun gestures to his current shirtless outfit.

Neptune steps up and holds a hand in front of his friend's face. "Ignore him for he knows not what he says."

'I know not what you say.' Yin states. 'What did I just say?'

Sun knocks Neptune's hand away. "Hey, I may have moved to Mistral, but I grew up in Vacuo. It's not exactly a shirt-and-tie kinda place."

Yang mirrors Ruby's and Weiss' loos of being told something extremely obvious. "Yeah, we noticed."

"Really?" Yin asks. "Huh, now I know not to wear a tie there."

Sun rubs the back of his head. "So, uh... what does Blake think of all this? She still being all, ya know... Blake-y?"

"Obviously." Weiss turns and crosses her arms in disapproval.

"I still can't think of a way to change her mind." Ruby states.

"Guys." Yang calls out. "Trust me. Blake will be at the dance tomorrow." She walks off.