Chapter 5: Lunch

I couldn't stop looking at her

It was a bad idea to go here. When Zack suggested somewhere to go for lunch, my first suggestion was to go here.

Why? I don't know!

I shouldn't be here. I certainly didn't come here for the food. It's not that good.

And what should have been a sign that I should leave was that she wasn't even here.

She came only after we were sitting here for a while. And she was not alone.

She was with her boyfriend and his friends. They were so noisy when they entered that it was impossible not to notice them.

I tried not to look at her while she took their order. It was easier when I sat with my back to them.

But when she passed the counter, she was quite in my view. And when she came to take our order, I couldn't help but see her.

I read the menu, even though I probably already memorized everything on it. I couldn't look her in the eyes.

But you could look at her when she wasn't looking, huh?

When she finally left, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Why does she have this effect on me? She has a boyfriend! She shouldn't have any effect on me.

"So, Finn." Zack alerted me to its existence. "Where are you from?"

"New York." I leaned back more comfortably and played with the drink coaster with my right hand.

"Why did you decide to move here?"

"I wanted to be alone." I tilted my head to the side. "But that didn't work out very well for me."

"No, you failed. Absolutely." He laughed. "But don't get me wrong, I'm glad." He put his hands in a defensive gesture. "You're quiet and sassy but honest. That's all I've ever wanted."

"You're weird." I shook my head.

"I've been called worse." He laughed but was interrupted by the waitress who brought us our drinks.

But she wasn't my waitress.

"Here are your drinks." The black-haired woman smiled at us and placed two glasses and two glass bottles on the table in front of us. "And this." She took money from her apron and placed it in front of me. "Supposedly you paid too much last time." She gave us one last smile and left.

Confused, I looked at the money I had left here yesterday.

Why would she return them to me? And why is she no longer serving us?

It's better this way, Finn.

"So you like throwing money around?" Zack snorted with a smile before pouring a Coca-Cola into his glass.