Chapter 40: Date

"Do you know what he's up to?" I asked Zack

"Nope." He shook his head and checked the GPS on his phone. "But there's literally nothing out here." He looked around.

A few minutes ago, Finn called him and asked if he could take me somewhere. I didn't have much choice, so that's how I ended up in Zack's car.

"I think we're almost there. It would be easier if there were normal roads too. Why couldn't he have picked a place in the center of town?" He whined.

"You can ask him." I nodded my head at the windshield, through which I could see Finn at his car a few feet away. "Thanks for the ride." I unbuckled myself and Zack stopped by Finn.

"Anytime." He winked at me and I gave him a tired smile.

I'm sure Finn means well, but I've really had enough for today. I would prefer to lie down and fall asleep, forgetting the whole world.

If only it were that easy.

I got out of Zack's car, shutting the door behind me.

"Hi." Finn walked up to me. "How are you?"

"Fine." I nodded. "You?" It was a stupid question, but I really didn't know what else to say.

"I'm fine." He laughed and bent his head towards me, placing a kiss on my forehead.

"I am good too!" Zack said from the driver's seat, the window to his left open. "Not that anyone asked. Or gave me a kiss." He snorted.

"You want one?" He asked with a playful smile.

"Funny, Finn." He rolled his eyes. "I have a boyfriend, you wasted your chance!" He shouted and started the car.

"Oh, how sad I am about that." He laughed and that brought a smile to my face too.

"So what are we doing here?" I looked around. There were trees all around and only a small clearing in front of us. It looks like exactly the kind of place where wild animals hang out. So I ask again, what are we doing here?

"You had a rough day and I didn't have the nicest yesterday." He grabbed my hand and began to drag me to his car, or rather the trunk. "So I thought we both deserved a little peace from everything."

When we got to the open trunk, I got a glimpse inside. The rear seats were folded, so there was much more space. The entire trunk was covered with blankets and pillows. There were tiny lights on the edge, which will come in handy in a moment, as the sun is slowly starting to set. In the middle of everything were two pizza boxes and two other, smaller, boxes that hadn't been opened, and finally a laptop.

"Finn, what is this?" I turned to face him as I unknowingly took a step forward when I saw everything, leaving him standing behind me.

"That's not the reaction I was expecting." He cleared his throat. "A date? Or just..." He shrugged. "Did I do something wrong? I thought..." He shook his head. "Sorry, I should have realized that you probably preferred to stay at the apartment." He walked over to the car and reached for the trunk to close it.