Chapter 48: Love hurts

"If you guys don't mind, I'd like to start," Stefan spoke up, reaching out to pick up the bottle of beer that was by Jeremy's tombstone

"Here." Next to me, Lincoln picked out the keys and helped him open it.

"Thanks." He smiled and took back the bottle. "So..." He cleared his throat. "Hey mate, we miss you...and it's not the same here without you. It's not fair that you're not here now and can't have one last drink with us. I think we all..." His voice began to trail off.

"Hey..." Adrian next to him grabbed his shoulder.

"I know. It's okay." He nodded. "We'd all like to talk to you one last time. To hear you tell some stupid joke or flirt with everyone. Our couch is empty without you and the funny thing is that there's suddenly a lot more food everywhere." He laughed, but there were tears at the corner of his eyes. "Adrian's candy stash was never fuller and..." He closed his eyes, tears streaming down his cheeks. "I never thought something like this would happen. I never thought I'd have to say goodbye to you. I miss you ." He raised the bottle a little higher. "Goodbye, friend." He put the bottle to his lips and drank.

"I'll take it," Luca spoke up and reached to take Stefan's bottle and sat back down. "I'd like to say Stefan's right, we miss you Jerr. I never thought I'd miss your useless bullshit, but I do. I'd give anything to listen to you again." His voice was firm, but a tear ran down his cheek. "Take care buddy." He raised the bottle. "I hope you have found peace." He took a sip from the beer and wiped his face.

Luca is not one to show his emotions, but when he does, he really means it all. And I'm sure if Jeremy heard this, he'd be happy and maybe a little moved.

Adrian took a deep breath. "I'll try it." He took the bottle from Luca. "I was told not to joke, but I think if you saw us now, you'd hate it." Stefan elbowed him in the ribs. "Ow. Watch it." He frowned and looked back at the tombstone. "You'd hate it because in no time we'll all be crying like little babies. You'd hate that you're not here and that you're not able to comfort us. Stefan was right, our apartment is empty without you. No one wakes us up at three in the morning to play some dumbass video game. No one uses all the hot water first thing in the morning. I miss it all surprisingly. I miss you, dickhead, and I hope you haunt my dreams so I can see you again." Before the tears fell from his eyes, he wiped them away and picked up the bottle. "See you in another life." He smiled and drank from the beer.

Adrian handed the bottle to Lincoln, who took it with little hesitation. "I said a lot at your funeral, but we all know I was trying not to tarnish your image. You're not as innocent as I described you. But I wouldn't change a thing about you. I don't know where you are now, but wherever you are, I hope you're happy. And I hope you were able to take your bike with you." He laughed softly. "We all know you'd miss your baby the most." He smiled sadly. "I'm sorry we couldn't be there for you in your last moments. I'm sorry I wasn't a better friend. And I'm sorry I couldn't save you."