Chapter 12: Questions

She's laughing

She's laughing.

She's laughing at me.

The moment I took out the paper and flattened it, she started laughing so hard I was waiting for her to fall off her chair.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy her laugh. It's genuine and so fucking sweet.

"Oh my god, my stomach hurts." She clutched her stomach and tried to steady her breathing. "Did you really write down the questions?" She asked me, still with a smile on her face.

"You know what? Screw it." I tried to stand up but she caught me before I could step forward.

"No, sorry." She tried to keep her smile to a minimum. "Sorry, ask your questions. I won't laugh at you anymore." She cleared her throat, let go of my hand, and sat down properly.

Truthfully, I've been thinking about what Destiny told me all day.

When I get to know her, I might get her out of my head. Permanently.

And if it doesn't work?

That's when you drink yourself into oblivion. Nothing new.

So after I decided to meet her, I wanted to be prepared, so I wrote down a few questions so I wouldn't forget them.

I scanned the paper trying to pick one question to start with.

When she saw that I didn't ask her anything longer, she spoke. "Would it be better if it was like a test? I can write my answers for you on the..." She trailed off as I looked up at her. "Sorry." She bit her lip, but I could see she was holding back a smile.

"So...what do you like to do in your free time?"

She covered her mouth in an attempt to look thoughtful, but I know she was just hiding a smile.

She's laughing at me.

And why are you allowing her to do that?

"Well..."

She started and I hoped it would be something like killing puppies or undermining small children to disgust me, but unfortunately, she didn't say that.

"I like to read books. Uhm...I hang out with my friends. Sometimes I bake and..." She shrugged. "That's all I can think of."

"All right." I went through looking at the other questions on my paper.

"Hold on." She stopped me when I was about to say another question. "This goes both ways." She pointed between us. "Just because I don't have questions prepared in advance doesn't mean I can't ask."

"That's not..."

"What are you most grateful for in life?" She interrupted me and carefully waited for my answer.

This is not how I imagined it. It should have been easy. I'll give her questions, she'll answer them and I'll get her out of my head.

Why is she trying to get to know me?