Chapter 20: Protection

I slowly ran the wet cloth over Finn's cheek, trying to get the dried blood off of him

Just looking at his condition made me feel heavy in my chest. Memories flashed before my eyes, but I tried to push them away.

Why would he do something like that? Obviously, he didn't do it himself, but how did he get to this state?

It hurts me that I'm one of the reasons he looks the way he does. I wish I would never have brought him to that party. None of this would happen.

"I'm sure he'll be fine." Lincoln's voice came from behind me after a while. I hoped he had already left, but apparently not.

"And if he wasn't?" My hand stopped at Finn's face. "Then what, hm?"

"Okay, fine, maybe I overdid it. I shouldn't have..."

"Maybe?" I snorted and looked at him in disbelief. "Lincoln, you had no right to say even one word against him. You don't even know him."

"Did you google him?" He raised an eyebrow.

Without answering, I turned back to Finn on the bed.

"I take that as a yes. Lexi, come on, you know I only want the best for you. Look at him. Do you want a person like that in your life?"

"You don't decide who I will have in my life and who I won't. It's not your decision." I put the rag back in the water.

"I'm trying to protect you. All of us are."

"Protect me? Like this?" I stood up and turned to face him. "Finn didn't do anything. You had no right to..."

"I have friends in New York." He cut me off. "The doctors who warned me to stay away from people like him and his family."

"So if you were told that van Gogh was going to do an autograph signing in New York, you'd immediately buy plane tickets? Do you realize how absurd you sound?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

What kind of argument is this anyway? Someone said something to someone and suddenly we're all going to kill each other?

"He's dangerous." He insisted on his own. "Mafia, Lexi. It's not something you take lightly. It's serious."

"Does he seriously look like someone I should be afraid of?" I pointed at the motionless Finn, who would have trouble even getting out of bed, let alone hurting me.

"We're trying to prot..."

"Stop justifying your behavior by saying you're doing it for me." Already irritated, my hands flew to my head. "I'm not asking you to do such a thing. You don't know Finn. You don't know his life, his family, his past. You have no right to judge him." I threw up my hands.

"He's going to hurt you."

"Like you are right now?" I said harshly. "Thanks for checking him out, but you should go."