Chapter 15: Smile

I've never been one to settle things with a fight, but

I've never been one to settle things with a fight, but...what the hell am I saying? I always settle things with a fight.

And right now I want to destroy Lexi's father.

I didn't like how he talked to her, how he treated her, and even how he looked at her.

I wanted to make sure Lexi was going to be okay, but when I saw her eyes begging me to let it go, I gave in.

I was hoping she would be okay. That she knows what she's doing when she's sending me away.

I wrote her a few messages on the way to my apartment, but she hasn't replied to any of them yet.

I got to the floor where my apartment was and stopped at the door. I looked at the only other apartment door on this floor that belonged to Zack.

I realize it's a little after midnight, but he might not be asleep yet.

Should I knock? Maybe apologize?

"What the hell am I doing?" I said with a heavy breath as I walked to the door on the left side of the hall and knocked on the door. "Please don't open," I whispered. "Please don't open. Please don't..."

He opened.

For the first few seconds, he just looked at me like I was a ghost so I was the one to speak first.

"Look, I have a good reason why..." Before I could finish my thought, his clenched fist landed on my jaw.

I swerved slightly from the impact and immediately grabbed the spot he hit. I blinked a few times and shook my head to be able to focus my vision on Zack.

"Mhm, definitely deserved that." I opened my mouth and moved my jaw from side to side. I've been punched in my jaw so many times that I know I'll be fine.

"I'm sorry, I didn't hear you, were you saying I should hit you again because you're an asshole?" He put his hand behind his ear and listened carefully.

"I'm sorry I didn't call, okay?" I straightened up properly.

"Okay." He crossed his arms over his bare chest. "And?" He raised an eyebrow.

"And?" I frowned. "And what?" I looked at him uncomprehendingly.

"You're not very good at apologizing either."

"I said I'm sorry, you even hit me, what else do you want me to do?"

"Well, first of all, you owe me a beer. No, lunch. You know what? You owe me a week's worth of lunches. Plus, you're going to get your fine ass inside and tell me where the hell you've been. Then you're going to apologize again. Multiple times. And then I'll consider forgiving you. Got it?" He smiled.

And from all that he said, I stopped at one thing. "You think I have a fine ass?"

"Oh, you motherfucker." He laughed, and I couldn't help but smile.