Chapter 49: Angel?

I didn't get out of my room all day

I didn't get out of my room all day. Correction, I didn't get out of bed all day.

I guess I was hoping that if I lay down long enough, maybe all the bad things that happened would simply disappear.

I felt exhausted. I don't even know if mentally or physically.

It was getting dark when I heard a soft knock on my door and Lincoln's voice. "Lexi?"

I pushed back the covers and fixed my hair before telling him to come inside.

"Hey." He smiled and I tried to do the same, even though smiling is the last thing I want to do today. "I brought your things." He placed my travel bags at the foot of the bed and straightened up. "Your phone and wallet." He took both out of the back pockets of his jeans and handed them to me.

"Thank you." I took my things and put them on the bed.

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine." Liar.

I wanted to ask about Finn. Who am I lying to, I wanted to call him and hear his voice in person. I wanted to hear from him that he was okay, that he was better off without me, and that I had made a good decision.

"Can I sit down?" He looked at me hesitantly.

"Sure." I shifted a little on the bed, despite the fact that I would prefer to be alone.

"Look Lexi, I know it's none of my business but..." He breathed out heavily. "You and Finn..."

"I don't want to talk about it." I said before he said anything else.

"I get it, but..."

"Can you all stop saying you get me?" I accidentally raised my voice at him, but I couldn't stop myself.

If everyone really got me, they would leave me alone now. I need space and time.

Isn't it dangerous? Especially with what's on your mind?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." He stopped. "I'm sorry, Lexi."

"No, I..." I lowered my head. "I'm just tired." Of life.

"Of course. Look," he grabbed my hand and I looked up at him, "if there's anything I can do, just text or call me. I'll be right there if you need me." He smiled.

It's nice that he cares, even though he has a lot too. But I don't plan to ask him for help, he has his own problems.

"Thank you." The corner of my mouth turned up.

"I'll let you get a good night's sleep. I'll see you soon, okay?" I nodded slowly and Lincoln leaned in, planting a quick kiss on my forehead before standing up and walking to the door. "I know you might not want to hear this, but Finn is miserable. You said it's better this way, but I honestly don't see how that helped him or you."