Chapter 16: Hospital

I learned how to fall so it wasn't hard to cover the bruises before I reached the age of eighteen

I learned that if people ask if everything is okay, it's better to say yes.

What will they do if I say no? Will they tell me everything will get better? Really? Is that supposed to help me?

So when Finn asked if everything was okay, of course, I said yes. I will not burden him with my problems.

I won't tell him that I started cutting myself again yesterday after four months. I won't tell him that I'm not really okay.

What would change if those words came out of my mouth? What would he do?

Would he hold me until I cried? Basically, holding a stranger? He couldn't help me. Nobody can.

"I don't know what I thought. Forget it." He shook his head, and then El came in with our coffee.

"Thank you, El." I smiled at her.

"I like the matching outfits." She pointed her finger between us and only then did I notice that Finn and I were wearing the same colored clothes.

"Oh my god, I didn't even realize that." I laughed. "What a coincidence." I brushed my hair away from my face, and when I looked back up at Finn, something was different about his face. "So..." I started talking when he was quiet. "I basically know nothing about you and I was wondering..."

"You have questions." He cut me off. "And only today will I answer all of them."

"Only today?" I raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I don't like to talk about myself."

"But you're going to answer everything I ask today?" I asked to make sure.

"Yes." He reached for a cup of coffee and took a careful sip. "Wow, this is really good." His eyebrows almost shot through the roof.

"I told you." I shrugged and took a sip too. "So, Finn..." I saw him immediately stiffen when I spoke.

I know that reflex. He doesn't really want to talk about himself, but for some reason he allowed me to ask. Why?

"You know what? Why don't you," I put the cup down, "tell me what you want and what you're comfortable with?"

He opened his mouth to say something but immediately closed it. From his expression, he is obviously surprised by my words. Did he think I was going to pull things out of him that he didn't want to say?

"I don't think anything I say about myself will interest you." He said in a quieter tone than before.

"Just try it." I gave him an encouraging smile.

"Okay then." He exhaled heavily. "I grew up in New York with four siblings." He began to talk, his gaze on the cup in his hands. "After a while, we started moving around a lot because of my oldest brother's job. Dad was an asshole and I honestly don't even remember what our mother looked like." He laughed nervously and shook his head. "Basically, we were raised by our brother. I really don't see the point of having children if you're not going to care about them. Some people aren't meant to have children."