Chapter 43: Friends

I was always the outsider

I was always the outsider. I never really had any real friends.

Not even when I was a kid. I was the boy who had old, ripped clothes and always hung around his little sister. Nobody really wanted to be my friend but some kids took pity on me and sometimes let me sit with them on lunch break.

High school was no different but at least there I didn't even try. I realized that I was better alone. And when my oldest brother got some money and the city started to talk about him, some of them were even scared to get close.

For a long time, it looked like I was destined to not have friends.

I lied to my family a lot of times about that. Saying I was heading out with friends while I was getting beat up in a dark alley, or that I was staying with someone overnight but in reality, I needed to be alone. I didn't care where I slept or if I even slept at all.

I'm glad Lexi isn't like that. That we didn't share the same fate in that department. She has friends and good ones. People who care about her.

At first, I was a little jealous, how could I not? I never had what they do. And I never thought I would. Not with them. They hated me since the first meeting. Why wouldn't they, I was a dick.

When Lexi invited me to go camping, I didn't think anything of it but later I felt like in some way I got close to them there. I realized what I was missing my whole life and it made me...sad.

I realized that if I had friends like them growing up I might have ended up differently.

Last night Jeremy invited me to go out with them. Just guys and a few drinks.

My first thought was that I only got invited because of Lexi. That it was her idea. But when I told her, she genuinely had no idea.

The guys wanted to hang out with me.

And that healed something in me. Something important.

"Well, finally. We thought you'd bailed on us." Jeremy greeted me as I walked up to their table in the back of the bar. The only free seat was on the right side, next to Luca, so I sat down.

"But he arrived just as we were going to order the next round. I'd say he's got good timing." Adrian began to collect glasses from the table and put them in one place. "Beer or something stronger?" He asked me.

"Oh." I looked around, everyone around waiting for my answer. "I'm here by car, I won't...drink."

"Boring." Adrian rolled his eyes. "You and Lincoln can shake hands. What about others?" Some nodded and some answered yes. "You want the same as Lincoln? Coke?"

"Yeah, why not." I shrugged it off and Adrian moved away from our table.

"You know, you could keep the car here," Stefan spoke up. "Come get it tomorrow."