Chapter 38: "We're celebrating!"

Everything I will ever need, for the rest of my life, is now in my arms

I hold Lexi like it's my life. As if I was afraid that if I let her go for a moment, she would slip through my fingers.

I wondered if this was all just a dream. If it is, I hope I never wake up, because I wouldn't want to live in a world where I didn't have her with me.

I admired every inch of her face. She looked so calm and I just hoped it was because of me. That I have the same effect on her as she has on me.

"You're squeezing me too hard." She said tiredly.

"Shit, I'm sorry." I immediately softened my grip.

"Are you afraid I'll run away?" She slowly started turning in my arms. "Hi." She smiled.

"Morning." I ran my hand over her cheek to push her hair away from it.

"Hmm." She closed her eyes as I ran my hand into her hair. "I never want to leave here." She snuggled closer to my chest and I wondered if she could hear my heart beating just for her.

"The winters would be a bit cold, but I'm sure we'd survive." When I saw the smile on her face, all the worries of the world disappeared. I reached out to her and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead. As I pulled away, I noticed that she had opened her eyes. "What?"

Without saying a word, she took her hand out from under the blanket, put her finger to her lips and tapped them a few times.

I laughed and kissed her. I couldn't stop smiling even while I was kissing her. How can I be so lucky?

When we pulled away, Lexi wrapped her arm and leg around me and rested her head on my chest.

"Are you afraid I will run away?"

"I'm pretty fast." She murmured into my chest. "I would catch you."

"Tackle me to the ground, huh?"

"Oh, sure, if it meant you wouldn't..."

"I would never run, sunshine." I interrupted her. "Not from you."

And then it dawned on me that this is exactly what she thinks will happen. When she's lost in her own head, that's exactly what she thinks. It was killing me that I didn't know how to prevent it, but I hoped that in time I could prove to her that she needn't be afraid.

"Hey, Finn, are you awake?" Lexi and I both jumped when we heard Zack outside my tent.

Lexi was about to say something but I put a finger to her lips. "I am now," I answered Zack. "What do you want?"

"Your sister called. She said she couldn't get a hold of you."

"Shit." I started looking for my phone, which I had forgotten to turn on since yesterday. I was lifting blankets, pillows, everything around me, and finally found it. I waited for it to turn on and when it did, the low battery warning beeped. "Are you shitting me?" I threw my phone away and put on my hoodie. "I need to use your phone Zack." I opened the tent and went outside, where he was already waiting for me with his phone.