Chapter 53: Love

It hurt to see her in that hospital bed

It hurt to see her in that hospital bed. I didn't care that all the doctors and nurses said she would be fine, she wasn't even supposed to be here.

And maybe if I had fought for her a little earlier, this wouldn't happened.

After paramedics came to Lexi's home and took her, they did various tests on her at the hospital to make sure she was okay. They constantly took her temperature and checked vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse, and breathing.

The beeping of all those machines annoyed me to the point of insanity, but as long as they beeped in a steady rhythm, it meant everything was as it should be.

The doctors and I were waiting for her to wake up. They so that they can properly examine her and see if there will be any lasting effects, and me because I love her and I will not move away from her until I know she's okay, and possibly not even after.

Her father left some time ago. He talked to the doctor, who assured him that he didn't need to be here, so he left. But I couldn't.

"Well, she's lucky to have you." I heard a woman's voice from the door and shifted my attention away from Lexi.

A young nurse with brown hair and work clothes was standing in the doorway.

"It's late, you should go home and rest. Leave your number at the main desk and we'll call you as soon as she wakes up."

"I want to be here when she wakes up." I tore my gaze away from her and looked back at Lexi who was lying peacefully in bed. She was a little pale, which was normal, but she was also much thinner than the last time I saw her, I wondered when was the last time she had eaten properly or taken proper care of herself.

More than once my gaze slipped to her hands, where she had infusions, but also her scars. I didn't overlook the fresh wounds and it hurt that I couldn't be there for her to stop her.

"We have strict rules about evening visits."

"Are you kicking me out?" I frowned.

"I should." She nodded. "But I'm sure she'll feel better waking up with someone familiar by her side." She nodded her head at Lexi. "Don't wander the halls at night unless you have to. The nearest vending machine with coffee and some food is at the end of this hall. And when she wakes up, press that red button on the wall." She pointed to my right hand where the red button was next to the bed.

"Thank you," I said honestly. I was glad she didn't try to throw me out, because I wouldn't move from this place no matter what she tried.

"Of course." She smiled and quietly closed the door behind her as she left.

I moved the chair I was sitting on closer to the bed and grabbed Lexi's hand, kissing her knuckles. "Come on, sunshine, come back to me," I whispered. "I need you."

"