Chapter 24: Brother

Everything inside me was ready to explode

Everything inside me was ready to explode. I don't even know how long Kai and Lexi stood there, Kai burning her with his eyes.

However, after a while, Lexi took the first step and walked over to the table where she had a black bag. "I'll stop by tomorrow." She didn't even look me in the eye, and just took her things.

All I got out was "text me when you get home" to which she just nodded with a narrow smile.

She slipped past Kai, not even giving him a glance, and walked out of my apartment. I hate to see her go, but it's good that she won't be around for what happens.

"Now..." Kai started talking once Lexi was gone.

"Let's get one thing straight". I cut him off and stood up, not feeling any pain. "You can say whatever shit you want to me, I'm used to it." With each word I moved closer. "But if you kick Lexi out of my apartment one more time, or even raise your voice at her, you'll end up worse than me." I looked him straight in the eyes, meaning every word I said seriously.

It's one thing that he's yelling at me. But no one and I mean no one, not even my own brother, is going to yell at Lexi if I have anything to say about it.

"You won't fucking look at her the wrong way, you won't talk to her the wrong way," I said between my teeth. "And God help you if you touch her. Understood?"

Here, at this moment, it didn't matter to me that we grew up together. That we managed to get through all the shit that life threw at us together. No, right now I cared about how Lexi must have felt when Kai threw her out of my apartment and I didn't stand up for her in that second. I swear if my friendship with Lexi goes to shit over this, Kai is a dead man walking.

"Loud and clear," I swear the corner of his mouth lifted and his gaze softened.

"Good," I said harshly.

"Good." And now he was smiling from ear to ear. Does he find this funny? I may have lost the only person who...it doesn't matter. "This junk food?" His gaze went beyond me to the table where the food that Lexi had brought me was. "Really?"

"Sure, do yourself a favor, judge me for even breathing wrongly." I rolled my eyes and went to sit back on the couch. I went to sit down for two reasons. First, I didn't want to look at Kai so closely anymore. And the other one? My whole body hurts. The moment I turned around I bit the inside of my cheek instead of cursing loudly.

"You know what I mean." His voice trailed off and I knew exactly what he was going to do. Before I even sat down, he was standing in front of my open refrigerator. "Wow. Emptyer than Sebastian's wallet after a bet." He closed it again. "I'm a wizard when it comes to food, but I'm not God. Do you have anything that's even remotely healthy?" He started going through my cabinets.

"Water," I said seriously.

"I thought so." He laughed and gave up when he realized I really didn't have anything else to eat. He walked over to me and took a bite of one of the fries. He frowned and closed in disgust. "Really?"