Chapter 13: Dangerous night

The first three days after the fiasco I caused with Lexi, I kept walking around the bistro but didn't dare go inside

I wanted to text her and apologize. To say that I made a mistake, that I don't want to think the worst about her, but my head won't let me.

I even thought about calling her, but I know I wouldn't be able to get a word out if it came to that.

And then I got a message. One message, five words, and I immediately packed up and got out of Portland.

 One message, five words, and I immediately packed up and got out of Portland

I didn't know what it meant right away. I didn't know if gone meant she ran away or...

When I came back to New York. I found Killian in the worst condition I had ever seen him. Just by looking at him, I knew what Kai's "gone" meant.

I was there for him and for Lucy, who probably doesn't even know what happened.

Kai told me the whole story. Theo, who is like our brother, and his girlfriend Luna, completed the details.

It wasn't even two weeks after I left for Portland and everything fell apart here.

Even though I didn't know Lyssa for long, she saved my life. Yes, she almost killed me too, but that was more in self-defense, if you can call it that.

But still, I couldn't help but come.

For the first few days, everyone was mostly quiet. I think they were processing that she was gone.

I was trying to get Lucy out of the house. A small child should not be there when all the adults are falling apart around her.

Val, Sebastian, and Kai were the only ones who ever joined me. But always only one, so that the others stay with Killian.

Even though I'm not the best babysitting candidate, I know she needed it too. Get out of the house.

After the funeral, it was even worse. We buried an empty coffin. Killian became even more withdrawn. He stopped leaving the room, eating, and maybe even sleeping for three days.