Chapter 54: Not okay but getting there

I'm the luckiest man in the world and you won't change my mind

I held Lexi in my arms while she slept peacefully in her bed. The only thing that would improve my mood even more would be if she moved back in with me. However, we said that we would take things slow, so I'm crashing at her place for now.

She was released from the hospital today, and after I helped her unpack, she said she was tired, so we laid down. She fell asleep with her head on my chest almost before I got even comfortable.

I like to think it was because she felt safe with me, but it could have been because of the pills they gave her at the hospital and general tiredness.

But a man can dream.

I spent two days by her side in the hospital, and even though it is one of the most depressing places, it was time well spent. We talked a lot and clarified everything we needed. I think we'll be fine. No, I know we'll be fine.

*****

I woke up the moment Lexi tried to sneak out of bed. I grabbed her hips and pulled her back to me, making her giggle. She gripped my chest with her hands to keep her full weight from crashing into me, even though I wouldn't mind.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Toilet." She laughed. "Am I not allowed?" She raised an eyebrow with humor.

"Not if you're trying to sneak out like that."

"I didn't want to wake you. You slept so peacefully." She turned her head to the side. "We slept almost all day."

"Is that supposed to be a complaint?" I reached up to her face, brushing a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"Nope." She shook her head. "I haven't slept this well in a long time."

"Me neither." I smiled. The last time when she lived with me. "Are you sure you don't want to move back in because I'll feel better knowing you're..."

"I know, it's just..." She breathed out. "It's a lot now, and if I had to think about moving again and having to..."

"Lexi, hey." I stopped her. "Got it, I won't ask again."

"Thank you." She smiled. "But I'd love to go back there. I missed Sunny."

"Oh, about that." I laughed nervously. "There was a minor incident but everything has been fixed and Sunny is fine."

"Minor incident?" She raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Didn't you want to go to the bathroom?"

"You are lucky." She pointed her finger at me threateningly and got off me. "But we'll talk about that later.

"I'm already looking forward to it." I gave her a narrow smile.

Shit.