Chapter 10: Advice

I'm sabotaging myself

Those were the first words I thought of as soon as I woke up.

And it's true.

I probably overdid it yesterday. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did, but at that moment it seemed right.

I know deep down that they weren't trying to replace me, but it still hurts.

Sometimes my head creates problems that aren't even there. But I can't help it.

I stared at the ceiling of my room for too long. I'm not in the mood to get up, but I really have to go shopping and later to work.

With a heavy breath, I sat down and picked up my phone. When I saw all the missed calls and messages, I kind of regretted that I didn't text anyone in the evening.

I didn't look at what they wrote to me, because if I put all the messages together, I could write a book out of them.

But my gaze fell on an unknown number under which Finn was hiding.

"No." I shook my head and looked away from his messages.

I don't even know how he got my number.

Maybe it's not even him. Even though I haven't bumped into anyone else in a long time.

I got out of bed, took a quick shower, got dressed, and went down the stairs to the kitchen.

I walked past the table to the kitchen counter. I took cereal from the top shelf and milk from the fridge.

I put everything on the counter, poured the cold milk into a bowl, and looked at the time. Looks like it's going to be cold milk today. At least it'll wake me up.

I poured the cereal into the bowl and put everything away. I picked up a spoon and turned with the bowl to sit down.

I suddenly stopped when I saw my father sitting at the table with glasses and a newspaper in his hand.

What is going on?

"Good morning?" I said carefully.

"I thought you were already at work." He spoke without looking up from the newspaper.

"I...I...I don't." I shook my head, still stuck in one place. "I'm going to the store."

"We're running out of eggs." He fixed his glasses.

"I know." Mainly because I'm the only one who shops and cooks, so I have quite an overview.

"And I wouldn't be mad if you bought a few packs of cigarettes." He looked up at me. "Are you going to stand there all day?"

At that moment, I came to my senses and approached the table. I sat down and started eating while trying to figure out what was going on at the moment.

Why doesn't my dad smell like alcohol?