Chapter 46: Funeral

I've seen death

I've seen death.

I looked into its eyes several times. And one thing I know about it?

Death is a bitch.

It takes people who don't deserve it and lets live those who have no place on earth.

I looked at Lexi who hadn't moved from the couch for hours, staring at nothing. She didn't make a single sound, and I was afraid that if I said something, it would only hurt her more.

After I got her out of the hospital, I tried to help her. But how? There is nothing I can do really. And if there was something, if I could trade places with Jeremy, I would.

When I opened the door that evening, I didn't expect Lincoln to be standing behind it. I didn't know what it was, but from one look at him, I knew something was wrong. However, I did not expect what happened next.

With tea, which I know won't help much now, I sat down on the couch next to her and put it on the table. I didn't know if I could hug her. I was afraid that she would fall apart in my arm, and then what? How could I fix that?

She slowly began to move, still without a word, and lowered her head onto my lap. She closed her eyes with a soft sob and it broke my heart to hear it.

She fell asleep in a few hours, probably from exhaustion. I didn't move an inch so I wouldn't accidentally wake her up. However, I didn't close my eyes, I just held her, hoping that we would get through this.

I remember her saying that she couldn't lose anyone else.

And since that happened, what happens now?

It wasn't a nightmare and that means I woke up this morning to a world without Jeremy

Why can't I believe it? Why am I still waiting for him to walk through the front door with a smile and a good morning?

"I made breakfast." I heard Finn as I was coming back from the bathroom.

"I'm not hungry, but thanks."

"Lexi, you need to eat something. Please."

"I'm not hungry," I repeated and continued walking towards the front door.