Chapter 33: Lake

I am madly in love with her

I don't even really know how it happened.

I was standing by the tree, a cup in hand, looking at her by the fire when I realized it. The sun had already gone down, so the only light that was around was coming from the firepit. I swear that all the light from my point of view came from her. From my sunshine.

Almost everyone was sitting around the fire, laughing and joking. I couldn't hear exactly what they were talking about because I was standing further away from them. I don't think Lexi noticed that I moved away from them, but I didn't mind. I could admire her from afar. To see her surrounded by people she loves.

"You're not the type to socialize, are you?" I tore my gaze away from Lexi and shifted it to Stefan, who appeared next to me. "Or do you have more stalkerish tendencies?" He laughed.

"It's too loud there."

"Overcrowded, you mean. Move over." I obeyed him and moved. He then leaned against the tree as well, his gaze on the group of people by the fire. "I know that look, Finn." He exhaled heavily. "You should do something before life gets in the way. You never know how much time you have."

"You sound like someone who has lost someone." I looked at him, his gaze far away.

"Maybe I did." He shrugged. "But can you lose someone you never really had?" He smiled sadly.

"Why are you here alone?" I knew I was reaching the limit, but I couldn't help it. I was wondering why he didn't take anyone.

"Because she could only come with one of us."

"What are you..." I frowned and followed his gaze again. I quickly realized that he was not looking at a whole group, but at one person. "Oh shit."

"Cliché, isn't it?" He laughed. "A guy in love with his twin's girl." He shook his head and looked down. "I waited too long and lost my chance. It's all my fault, but that doesn't make it hurt any less."

"Do they know about it? Destiny or Adrian?"

"I doubt it. And if they do, they're good at hiding it. You want my advice?" He turned to me and grabbed my shoulder. "Do something before someone steals her from you. She won't wait for you to get your life together. Not even Lexi."

I wanted to convince myself that the uncomfortable feeling in my chest was there because I felt sorry for Stefan, but the truth is, I knew deep down it was because I knew he was telling the truth.

"Why don't you tell her now?" I asked him as he was about to leave.

"Because I love them both more than myself. I could never choose between them. I'm going to interfere in their relationship and in every situation someone will get hurt. It's not worth it."

"So you prefer to hide your feelings for her? So that you don't get hurt..."

"Love is about sacrifice, Finn." He cut me off. "You'll understand someday." He nodded. "Now if you'll excuse me." He reached for something that was propped up next to him. "I have duties." He picked up the wooden guitar and walked towards the firepit. "You should join us."