Chapter 57: Family

"If you need anything or if you don't feel fine, you'll call me, okay?" Lexi said as she hugged her mother again

"Yes, yes." She laughed and pulled away from her daughter. "But don't you dare think about me all the time. You're going to New York, honey, enjoy yourself there." She cupped her face in her hands. "Send me lots of pictures." She kissed her cheek.

"Of course, mom." Lexi smiled.

After almost no persuasion, Lexi and I decided to go to New York to visit my siblings. At first, she was excited, but as the day of our departure approached, Lexi became more nervous. She's afraid something will happen while she's not here. However, I promised her that if anything happened, we would be on the first plane back.

"I'm hoping you will take care of my daughter, Finn."

"Yes, Madam." I smiled at her.

"Repeat after me. A-D-E-L-A-I-D-E." With each letter, she came closer to me. When she was standing next to me, she grabbed my hand. "Come back to me both safe and sound, okay?"

"Of course." I nodded.

"Come on then. What are you waiting for? Shoo, shoo." With the movements of her hands, she chased us out of the hospital room.

"If anything..." Lexi began again, but Adelaide cut her off.

"Go, baby. And send lots of pictures!"

We walked out of the hospital laughing and stopped by my car.

"Everything will be okay." I tried to calm Lexi down. "It's only for a few days."

"I know." She exhaled and looked at the hospital behind us.

"What are you thinking about, sunshine?" I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer, her back bumping into my chest.

"I'm scared."

"Of what?" I frowned.

"Everything is going well. Mom is doing better, father is still attending meetings, and the two of us are fine. I'm just waiting for everything to go wrong."

"Hey, hey, hey." I turned her in my arms so she was looking at me. "Why would such a thing happen?"

"Because that's my life. Whenever everything is great and I'm happy, something..."

"Not this time." I jumped into her speech. "And even if something happens, we'll get through it together, okay?" I cupped her face in my hands. "I'm going to need an answer, sunshine."

"Okay." She said quietly.

"Come on, let's go get your stuff." I kissed the tip of her nose and opened the car door for her.

A few minutes later we parked in front of her house.

"I'm going to change and go to the bathroom real quick. Do you want to wait inside?" She raised an eyebrow.