Chapter 22: Examination

"What can I get you?" I asked them, my small notebook in hand, pen ready to write down their orders

"What can I get you?" I asked them, my small notebook in hand, pen ready to write down their orders. I didn't look at any of the three guys sitting in front of me. I have nothing to say to them.

"How's Finn?" Jeremy spoke up.

"That's not on the menu. If you don't know what to order, I would recommend today's specialty." I pointed to the front of the menu.

"Lexi, come on." Adrian leaned his elbows on the edge of the table.

"I'm working. If you're not going to order anything, I'll have to ask you to leave." I know it wasn't their fault what Lincoln said, but neither of them really stood up for Finn. Adrian even supported what Lincoln was saying. I thought they were more mature. I was obviously wrong.

"Lincoln said you two were fine. He apologized. What else..."

"He apologized to me." I interrupted him. "Not to Finn. He's the one who deserves an apology. I thought it would be nice if he met more people. I was counting on you giving him a warm welcome, but look what happened. You all let me down. He didn't do anything to you." I shook my head in disappointment.

"We're sorry we didn't stop Lincoln. Really, Lexi. We tried, but..." Stefan gestured between him and Jeremy. "We're just sorry." He exhaled heavily. "Lincoln said what happened and how Finn was. How is he doing now?" He asked with genuine interest.

"He's going to be okay," I said quietly and everyone looked relieved, even Adrian. "I'm going to see him after work to check on him."

"It's a good thing he has you." Stefan smiled.

"If there's anything we can do..." Jeremy trailed off.

"Apologize," I said without hesitation. "Apologize and really mean it. Otherwise, I doubt there's anything you can do."

"We promise that..."

"Stop it, please." I interrupted Adrian. "Do it or don't, but don't do it for me. You should do it for yourself because it's the right thing to do. If you're going to apologize to him just because I'm mad at you, you're wasting all of our time. Now, are you going to order? I have other customers."

Lincoln, Jeremy, Luca, Adrian, and Stefan have always meant more to me than anything else in my life. We've always been on the same side, but now...it's like I'm miles away from them.

I'm standing up for Finn, and in doing so I'm going against a long-standing friendship. But if it's wrong, why do I feel like I'm doing the right thing? Is it because I see a bit of myself in Finn? That when I'm with him I feel?

Whatever it is, I just hope I don't regret it.

I wish I could talk to someone about this. Talk with someone who could help me.

*****

Rachel greeted me with a warm smile. I only spoke to her briefly before heading to my mother's room.