Chapter 38

She was frozen in place... Her knees gave up and she stumbled back. She would be fallen on her knees if Siddharth wasn't standing behind her almost supporting her. Her tears weren't stopping. She couldn't feel anything but that pain in heart... It felt so empty yet heavy. She couldn't speak anything.

She was standing in front of her father's corpse. He was covered with white cloth on hospital bed. They were just waiting for her to wake up so she could do last rites. Jai and Anika weren't concious yet, nor capable enough to attend funeral. Avneet had to do it alone.

"Avneet..." Siddharth said shaking her a bit to bring her back from her internal thoughts. She was reminiscing all beautiful moments she had with her had. She couldn't let go just yet.

She took a step back... But was stopped by Siddharth. "You have to do it Avneet." He said.

"No...no... What are you saying? I can't... Not yet... He hasn't even forgiven me yet... I haven't even said goodbye." She cried.

She was not ready to let go... No one would be.

"Avneet beta... We have to do all rituals soon, it's been hours now. We can't leave the body like that!" Vibha, Siddharth's mom tried to explain Avneet who looked at her with teary eyes.

"No... No... Not yet!! Please..." She cried... She was still in Denial.

"Mom... Bhabhi please take care of Avneet. I will complete all formalities." Siddharth told Vibha. She nodded.

Avneet was crying, she had her head rest on his dad's cold chest, his hand in her hand. Vibha put hand on her shoulder trying to console her. Vaishnavi brought her some water which she refused to drink. They both were trying thier best to console Avneet.

Here Siddharth had someone else to take care of as well!..

"Reemi..." He called a woman who looked devastated... She was sitting outside private room her boyfriend was in. She saw her future father in law's dead body, her future mother in law and boyfriend were still in serious condition and no one knew when they will get consciousness.

His heart broke seeing her so devastated, she looked like she had been crying so much that she had no more tears left, her cheeks were puffy and red which had still undried tears on them. She was sitting and was lost somewhere! She didn't hear him.

He went near her and put hand on her shoulder making her get up in jerk.

"How is Avneet...?" She asked in quavering voice.

"She is fine. How are you?" He asked sitting beside her.

"I am ok. You should be with Avneet." She said without looking at him.

"Mom and Bhabhi are taking care of her. She is not alone. And I was worried about you. You need someone too." He said.

"That someone isn't you." She said.

"I know. But I can't leave you alone." He said.

"I already asked you so many times to stay the fuck away from me. Don't you get it?!" She almost shouted. "I will never accept you." She said.

"I know, but I am still not leaving you alone right now. You are in pain I know it." He said and pulled her in hug. She resisted but gave up and broke in tears.

" I... I... Can't live without him Siddharth! What if something happens to him? Doctor said he is serious... How will I tell him about dad!!! What will we tell mom when she asks about dad... I don't know what to do!! How did all this happen so sudden! Why?? Why did all this happen? What did we do?? Avneet, my jaan she is innocent, she didn't deserve all this. She loves her dad a lot, how will she perform his last rites and she has no emotional support... Her whole family is in hospital... She lost her everything. I can't even face her knowing that I the reason behind all this..." She cried.

Before Siddharth could say anything, Abhishek interrupted. "Sid, what are you doing here? Avneet needs you there! She said she is ready for rituals. I have arranged everything, It's time." He said. Siddharth nodded and looked at Reem.

They had moved body to house, did all rituals. Only close ones were told about all this. They could not wait for Anika or Jai to wake up.

Avneet couldn't let go of her father's cold body yet, but she had to... She held her father's lifeless frame in her arms for the last time before they could take him for cremation.

When Avneet gave flame to her father's head, she felt like she was giving it to herself. Avneet burned there into ashes with her father's lifeless figure. She fell on her knees watching him till everything was cold.

All relatives left, family left, Avneet stood there until she passed out.

She had let go of herself with her father.