Summer (1)

"Ah, the scorching heat..." Shun muttered, beads of sweat trickling down his forehead, as he vigorously swept the entrance with a worn broom. "I never anticipated summer's untimely arrival... Is it already June in these parts?" He sighed wearily, resuming his task.

Just then, a graceful figure descended the stairs, catching Shun's attention. "Ah, Shun, I observe your unwavering dedication, as always," Remilia spoke with her characteristic poise, her presence exuding an air of elegance.

"Good afternoon, Lady Remilia," Shun greeted with a respectful bow. "Ah, Shun, have you perchance crossed paths with my dear little sister, Flan?" Remilia inquired. "She is most likely still sleeping in her room," Shun replied. "Is that so? How delightful," Remilia murmured, a hint of relief gracing her words.

"What about you, Lady Remilia? Aren't you supposed to be asleep at this hour?" he asked. "Not now. After all, I want to at least experience summer," she replied. "But you're a vampire though," Shun thought to himself. "Ah? Could you possibly be misunderstanding? I meant things like eating watermelon or bathing in cold water," she clarified.

"But before that, would you mind buying sunscreen from Kourindou?" she asked. "Sure, I want to check out some things there as well," he replied. "Oh? Then you may use this opportunity to do your thing," she suggested. "Thank you, Lady Remilia!" he bowed respectfully.

"No worries~ Though you'll have to be quick, or else Sakuya will get mad at you~ You know her, she can be pretty mean to those who slack off," she said, a mischievous tone in her voice. "Ahahaha~ I'll be quick," he replied, understanding what she meant.

Shun made his way back to his room to prepare for his errand. "It's summer and I'm sure it'll be hot outside... I should bring some water just in case," he thought to himself. He grabbed his bag and headed to the kitchen to fill up a bottle.

However, as he looked through the cupboards, he noticed that there were no bottles. "Hm? No bottles?" he muttered, slightly surprised.

"Ahh, Shun... heading out to buy Lady Remilia's sunscreen?" Sakuya asked as she placed a tray with an empty plate on the table. "Yes, but it's hot outside, so I should take some water with me," he replied. "Hm? I see. How about using a gourd?" Sakuya offered, grabbing a clean, empty gourd and handing it to Shun. "Thank you, Miss Sakuya," he expressed his gratitude as he took the gourd, fills it with water, and headed towards the door. "No worries. Be careful out there," Sakuya waved her hand in a low gesture, wishing him well.

As Shun walked out of the mansion, passing through the gate, he noticed Meiling lying on the ground.

"Eh?! Miss Meiling?! Are you alright?!" he exclaimed, rushing to her side. "Shun, it's so hot..." Meiling replied weakly, clearly affected by the heat. "Of course, it's hot... It's summer, after all," he responded, concern evident in his voice. He opened his gourd and offered Meiling a drink. "Thank you, Shun," Meiling said gratefully, taking the gourd and slowly drinking from it.

"Ahh~ Thank you, Shun!" Meiling exclaimed, feeling refreshed as she stood up. "You should head inside... You don't want to get heatstroke," he advised, worried about her well-being.

"Right, I should also get some water," Meiling said as she slowly walked inside.

"Hmm, now I'm a bit worried," Shun muttered to himself, concerned about Meiling's well-being. "Ahh, whatever."

He made his way back and headed toward the Forest of Magic. "If I remember correctly, the last time Miss Sakuya gave me a tour... This should be the place," he thought to himself. Eventually, Shun found himself standing in front of a shop called Kourindou.

As Shun was about to enter, a girl dressed in a shrine maiden outfit greeted him. "Shun," she called out. "R-Reimu, good afternoon," he replied, scratching his head nervously. "Hm?" Reimu approached Shun, sniffing his clothes. "You smell like a youkai now," she stated, giving him a suspicious glare. "You're not up to something bad, are you?"

"N-No! The Scarlet Devil Mansion is truly peaceful," Shun quickly assured her, hoping to dispel any doubts. "Hmm. I see. As long as your mistress isn't causing another incident, it's fine," Reimu replied, sighing in relief. "Yeah..." Shun replied, slowly walking backward. "Hm? Why are you slowly walking backward?" Reimu asked, curious about his behavior.

"Oh, I see. Our first meeting... Don't worry about it! Yukari... I mean that gap youkai, told me everything. You can stay here in Gensokyo," Reimu reassured him. "Oh... Is that so? I guess I owe her one again, huh?" Shun replied. "Hm? Now that I think about it... I heard Sakuya taught you about danmaku, the Battle of Bullets," Reimu said. "Yes, though I couldn't shoot bullets, but I can still dodge,"

"Hmm~ Interesting... Then can you do me a favor?" Reimu smirked mischievously. "Uhhh, I can sense a danger with that smirk of yours, Reimu," Shun replied with an awkward smile. "Don't be like that!" Reimu retorted playfully.

"A-Anyway, I have to go inside now," Shun said, bowing politely before entering the shop. "Hmmm, it's been 4 months since you arrived in Gensokyo... can't believe how much you've changed," Reimu smiled and flew away.

As Shun looked around, he noticed a collection of items from the outside world. "Ahh, is this... a toaster?" he wondered aloud, examining it closely. "Oh? Butler of the Scarlet Devil Mansion! Welcome~" a man with white hair greeted him. "Good afternoon, Mister Rinnosuke," Shun greeted in return.

So? What would you like today?" Rinnosuke asked. "Ah, I'd like to buy some sunscreen for Lady Remilia," Shun replied. "Ahh, good timing! I just stocked up on that product," Rinnosuke said as he retrieved the sunscreen from a cabinet. He glanced at the brand and muttered to himself, "ANESSA product..." with a sigh.

"Hm? What's wrong? I'm sure your mistress will like it," Rinnosuke remarked, noticing Shun's reaction. "Ahh, I'll take this one," Shun confirmed, reaching for the sunscreen. "I see. I assume Remilia wants it added to her account, correct?" Rinnosuke asked, referring to the payment arrangement with the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

"Yes, please list it down as her... debt," Shun requested, a hint of concern in his voice as he looked down. "Ahaha! Don't worry, your mistress always pays, and she's also a customer of mine when it comes to skincare," Rinnosuke reassured him with a cheerful tone. "Alright, I'll be going now!" Shun said, slowly walking out of the shop. "Come back soon!" Rinnosuke called after him, bidding him farewell.

As Shun began walking back towards the Forest of Magic, drinking from his gourd, a dense mist suddenly enveloped him. "Human," a voice called out from within the mist. Shun's gaze turned towards the source, revealing a short girl with two long, straight horns on her head adorned with ribbons. "Who are you?!" Shun exclaimed, his voice filled with curiosity and caution.

"Do you mind if you share some of your water?" the girl asked, extending her gourd towards Shun. "Ahh, s-sure?" Shun replied hesitantly, taking the gourd from her hands and pouring some water into it. "Oh? Aren't you the famous butler who works at the Scarlet Devil Mansion?" she asked, her smile growing wider as she looked at him.

"Famous?" Shun repeated to himself, a hint of surprise in his voice. "That's right~ The tengu made an article about you," the girl confirmed with a playful tone.

Shun finished pouring water into her gourd and handed it back to her. She eagerly took it and began drinking, letting out a contented sigh. "Ahh~" she expressed her satisfaction.

"Oh? I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Suika Ibuki, I'm an oni," she introduced herself, her voice slightly wobbly as she swayed gently.