My First and Last

"It's been a while since Youmu ran away..." I mutter to myself, feeling a sense of emptiness. Without Youmu around, swinging my sword and running around the mansion feels rather dull.

I let out a sigh and continue practicing my sword.

"It seems that someone's dedicated to their training," a familiar voice remarks.

I turn around to see Yukari, wearing her signature enigmatic smile. "Miss Yukari."

"It's been a while, Shun. How are you?" Yukari greets me.

"Well... I'm currently focused on my training."

She raises an eyebrow. "Oh? But where is Youmu?"

"...I don't know."

"Hmmm~ Let's see... Is there something you want to do right now?" Yukari asks, her tone filled with curiosity.

I pause for a moment, contemplating her question. "Hmmm, can you train with me while Youmu is still away?"

"Sure, but I'm not going to be the one training you," Yukari responds, raising her arms and snapping her fingers.

As soon as she snaps her fingers, two figures appear in front of me. One is a woman with short blonde hair and nine fox tails, introducing herself as Ran Yakumo, a shikigami of Lady Yukari.

"Nice to meet you, Shun," Ran says with a gentle smile. "I am Ran Yakumo, a fox shikigami under Lady Yukari's command. It's a pleasure to assist you in your training."

The other figure is a girl with black cat ears, a gold earring in her left ear, and two tails. She looks a bit mischievous but friendly.

"Hiya! I'm Chen! I'm Lady Ran's shikigami!"

With Ran and Chen now properly introduced, I greet them with a polite bow. "Nice to meet both of you. Thank you for agreeing to train me. I'm Shun, a butler of the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

"I've heard things about you around Gensokyo. Apparently, you're the first human serving the vampire at the Scarlet Devil Mansion."

"Yes, that's correct."

"I see. Well, then I'm sure you've heard of danmaku, right?"

"Yes."

"Well, then shall we?"

"Yes... Huh?! Wait!"

Without any warning, Ran leaps high into the air, spinning her tail and shooting out needles while rotating at a high speed. I quickly react, evading most of the needles, but a few manage to graze me.

"Oh? So it's also true that your agility is not to be underestimated."

I catch my breath, feeling the slight sting from the grazes.

"But... Aren't you forgetting something?" Chen chimed in.

Before I could respond, Chen swiftly swiped the air, creating a flurry of slash projectiles with her cat paws. I managed to evade some of them, but a few grazed me once again.

"I need to attack too," Gritting my teeth, I leaped back, creating some distance between us. With a focused mind, I assumed a stance and dashed forward toward Chen, my crimson blade gleaming with a red aura.

As I reached her, I leaped into the air, gracefully swinging my blade through the air, creating a series of small pellets and slash projectiles that surged toward Chen.

However, she swiftly dodged my attacks, In response, Chen retaliated by conjuring even more projectiles from her paws, launching them towards me in a relentless barrage.

With swift movements, I skillfully cut through some of the incoming bullets, creating an opening for me to attack. I launched myself toward Chen, slashing at her with precise strikes.

However, her agility and quick reflexes allowed her to evade and sidestep my attacks effortlessly.

As Chen leaped back and assumed a cat stance, a magic circle appeared beneath her feet. In an instant, she pounced forward with incredible speed and agility, resembling a feral cat hunting its prey.

She's using a spell card!?

Her sharp nails became deadly weapons as she relentlessly sliced through the air, aiming to strike me with precision.

Despite my best efforts to block and defend, Chen's speed proved to be overwhelming. Her attacks came at a rapid pace, making it difficult for me to anticipate and counter them effectively.

The sharpness of her claws sliced through my defenses, leaving shallow cuts on my arms and legs.

As Chen leaped back, her feline eyes fixated on me.

I could feel the sting of the wounds on my body, blood trickling from the cuts in my butler outfit.

I took a deep breath, regaining my composure. Despite the pain and fatigue, I knew I couldn't afford to back down. After all, I can't be a shame as a butler of the scarlet devil mansion.

I haven't tried this technique but I'm sure that they will be surprised.

I kneel and thrust my blade into the ground, my eyes fixated on Chen and Lady Ran. My crimson blade begins to glow red, and a magic circle materializes beneath my feet.

"That's a spell card! Chen, be careful!"

"Too late," Yukari said as she covers her mouth with a fan.

I whispered to myself, "Blood Sign: Blood Armament." A pool of blood appears on the ground, emanating from the crimson blade, as it transforms into a colossal wave.

As the colossal wave of blood surged forward, it enveloped both Chen and Ran within its crimson embrace. The powerful torrent crashed against them.

The sheer force of the impact sent them flying backward, landing on the ground with a thud.

The moment the wave dissipated, the crimson hue transformed into tranquil and clear water.

"That was my first spell card... and it will also be the last time I use it," I said, my voice filled with exhaustion, I tightly gripped my sword, feeling the weariness in my body.

Since when did my training turn into a danmaku...