The Butler Residing in the Shrine (2)

I averted my gaze, my steps faltering slightly as I walked past her. I didn't want to face her right now, not after everything that had happened.

"Shun?" Sakuya's voice was tinged with concern as she looked back at me.

I sighed inwardly. I knew I couldn't avoid her forever. I stopped and turned to face her.

"Miss Sakuya..."

The two of us stayed silent, our eyes locked in an unspoken exchange.

"So... How are you?"

Sakuya's voice broke the silence.

I looked at her, my emotions a tangled mess.

How could I answer that? After all that's transpired, how could I put my feelings into words?

The words were out before I could stop them, dripping with a hint of sarcasm.

"I'm fine, actually. The bleeding has stopped, and I'm getting pretty used to being beaten up. It's becoming quite the routine."

Sakuya's expression softened, and she formed a small gap. "That's true... Ever since you came here, you've become a regular at Eientei."

I chuckled wryly. "Yeah, you could say that. Getting into fights seems to be my new hobby, apparently."

As we stood there, a rush of memories flooded my mind – the countless battles I had fought, the times I had barely scraped by, and the moments of exhaustion that followed.

In a world as strange and unpredictable as Gensokyo, I had learned to adapt, to survive.

Looking back, I realized how lucky I had been to win those fights, although many times it had been a close call.

Yet, no matter how battered I got, I always managed to get back on my feet, ready for the next challenge.

With that realization, I nodded at Sakuya. "Yeah, you're right. I may be a bit bruised, but I'm also learning to stand my ground."

She smiled genuinely. "I have no doubt about that."

Silence settled between Sakuya and me, heavy with unspoken words.

"Shun... I-" Sakuya's voice trailed off, as if she wanted to say something but before either of us could continue, a familiar voice called out my name.

"Shun!"

I turned around to see Reimu walking towards us.

"Reimu?"

Reimu glanced at Sakuya "Oh? Sakuya, shopping?"

Sakuya nodded with a bow. "Good afternoon, Reimu."

"Right, right. Good afternoon. Anyways, Shun, you don't need to buy ingredients right now. There's still plenty in stock. Let's go."

Reimu grabbed my arm and pulled me away, leading me back to the shrine.

Looking back at Sakuya as we moved away from her. She raised a hand in farewell, her expression a mix of emotions that mirrored my own.

I wanted to say something to her, to express the thoughts swirling in my mind, but the words remained lodged in my throat.

"Sakuya..."

Reimu's grip on my arm tightened, and she gave me a questioning glance. "Something wrong, Shun?"

I shook my head and forced a smile. "No, it's nothing. Let's go."

As Reimu and I walked away, I couldn't help but steal another glance back at Sakuya.

As we returned to the shrine, Reimu tossed me to the ground without much ceremony and went about her business like it was a common occurrence.

"Wait right there."

With a brisk step, she moved to the side of the shrine and disappeared inside.

Did she just throw me like a sack of potatoes?

After a few minutes, she emerged, holding a Gohei and a handful of talismans in the other hand.

"Alright then, Shun," she began, clearing her throat, "I know this might come as a surprise, but I want to see you in action."

Ahh... she means a fight.

"FIGHT!?" I exclaimed, springing to my feet and staring at her in disbelief.

"Keep it down, will you? Yes, you heard me right. I want to see how you fare in a fight."

"But Reimu, I'm hardly equipped to take on someone like you!"

"Considering you managed to defeat Marisa once, I think you have more potential than you realize," she retorted with a blank expression.

"That was a fluke!"

Reimu sighed. "True, but don't worry, I won't be the only one training you."

"Did someone said training!?"

A voice echoed from seemingly every direction, leaving me searching around

Out of nowhere, a girl landed gracefully beside Reimu, her gaze filled with curiosity.

"Oh? Good timing. Introduce yourself will ya?"

"Hello there! I'm Kasen Ibaraki, a mountain hermit," she said with a friendly grin.

"Um, hello... I'm Shun," I introduced myself with a respectful bow.

"Great, introductions are done. Shall we get started?"

Both Reimu and Kasen assumed battle stances, readying themselves for action.

"Eh?! Wait a moment! I'm not prepared for this!"

"Then prepare quickly!" Reimu's voice was firm, leaving no room for hesitation.

"Here we go!" Reimu and Kasen exclaimed in unison as they charged toward me, their determination clear.

And so... Shun found himself in a challenging battle against Reimu and Kasen. Despite his efforts, he was ultimately overpowered, ending up battered and bruised by the end of the intense training session.

But that's not all.

I can feel much more intense training soon.