Chapter 86

Next morning:

As the sun rose, its rays streamed into the room, gently caressing Nandini's face, causing her to frown and snuggle closer into Manik's chest. Trying to shield herself from the intrusive light, she attempted to hold on to her slumber, but the sun had other plans. Eventually, she gave in and woke up, rubbing her eyes cutely.

Nandini: (murmuring to herself) Ahhh, my head... Why does it hurt all of a sudden? And how did I end up here? I don't remember anything after the supermarket.

Suddenly, a wave of nausea washed over her, and she urgently rushed to the bathroom, accidentally slamming the door shut with a loud thud. The noise startled Manik awake, and realising that Nandini was not in bed, he heard the distressing sounds from the bathroom. Concerned, he hurriedly approached the door and knocked gently.

Manik: Baby, are you inside? Are you okay?

Nandini: (crying) Dadda...

He swiftly opened the door and rushed to Nandini, who was sitting on the floor near the toilet, struggling with bouts of vomiting. Manik gently held her hair back and comforted her with soothing words.

Nandini: (crying) No like it Dadda.

Manik: (pecking her hair) I know, baby, but it's alright. You'll feel better soon.

After a while, Nandini finished vomiting, and Manik helped her stand up. They both freshened up, and while she was brushing her teeth, Nandini expressed her discomfort.

Nandini: Dadda, my head is hurting.

Manik: (concerned) Baby, do you remember what happened yesterday? (she shook her head) You drank vodka, sweetheart.

Nandini: (shocked) WHAT!!! No, I don't drink, Dadda... I swear I didn't.

Manik: (calmly) I know my baby doesn't drink, but yesterday by mistake, you drank vodka which Cabir bhai had bought.

Nandini: Dadda, I remember I was thirsty, and so I was looking for water, and I found one can in Cabir bhai's bag. I thought it was some juice, so I drank it, but it tasted weird.

Manik: Because that was vodka, baby.

Nandini: (teary-eyed) Dadda, make this headache go away... I don't like it.

Manik: (gently wiping her tears) No, no, baby, don't cry. Once we go downstairs, Dadda will make lemonade for you, and you will feel better. After breakfast, you can take one painkiller.

Nandini: (protesting) No, medii, please... Nandu doesn't like medii.

Manik: Baby, do you want to feel better or not? (she nods) Then you have to take one medicine, bacha.

Nandini: But I don't like it.

Manik: (firmly) Nandiniiiii...

Nandini: (crying) Dadda's shouting at Nandu... Dadda bad... Nandu will not talk to Dadda.

Manik: (sighs) Baby, when did I shout at you?

Nandini: You called me Nandini... You know I don't like when you call me Nandini.

Manik: (comfortingly) Bacha, Dadda isn't angry with you. He's just concerned for his baby. (hugs her gently) Stop crying, sweetheart.

After a while, when they were done, Manik carried Nandini in his arms, and she buried her face in his neck. They then went downstairs where everyone was waiting for them.

Mukti: Is everything okay?

Manik: Yeah, she just vomited and has a headache.

Navya: Aww, my baby.