Chapter 43: The trial of Life

!TW: SUCIDE

That night, beneath the moon's haunting glow,
I died in the arms of my lover.

As I embraced my last breath I asked myself a single question:

How many deaths must a woman endure to unleash and find the inner core of her power?

The air was heavy as I was walking between the realm of two worlds. The trees rustled a haunting wind through the air as it swept through the ashes of the house, the wind played a melancholic melody, a ghostly song of crying dead women standing around and witnessing yet another injustice to their own kind.

Their scratching cries ran through the haunting wind as if they were casting spells.

When life filled my lungs again, rain started pouring and the forest suddenly stood still, witnessing my whispered vow of revenge.

That I've returned my dear men,

and I'll hunt you until the final droplet of your blood stains the earth.

THREE YEARS LATER

THIRD PERSON'S POV

As Lawyer Kang Haneul ran his hand through the files in a final check before the last trial tomorrow, a letter unexpectedly slipped down his wooden table. His eyes shifted to the letter. As he picked it up, memories flooded back. Memories of how this very letter had started the case that had gripped the entire country until this decisive night.

Leaning back into his leather chair, Kang loosened his tie, the silence of the empty office reflecting the weight of the impending trial. With a thoughtful gaze, he stared at the letter once more before deciding to open it again. This letter held the key to unraveling the web of events that had unfolded, leading to this momentous trial set to begin in a few hours.

"I don't even know where to begin, Y/N. Our story goes way back, probably even before you and Kim Jongin got together. He always had his eyes on you, no matter what I did. Even though he was a senior to both of us, he somehow noticed you among all the other girls. It was that one night in a club, where he really noticed me for the first time and that's when I lost my virginity to him. But he just left me there, craving more. I fell for him, hard and ended up being at his beck and call whenever he wanted. Until that one day, you two started dating out of nowhere.

It all came crashing down so suddenly. Yes, he didn't end things with me even after you two started dating and at that moment, it felt strangely victorious. Like I was finally offering him something you couldn't. He said you wanted to wait until marriage, and he couldn't care less. He thought you'd give in eventually, but when you didn't, it outraged him. After what he did to you that afternoon, he came to me. He hit me after getting what he wanted, his guilt turning into rage. I endured it because I thought I was so deeply in love. I endured everything. And when he was told to leave for the US, I was shattered. I blamed you, angry that I had lost him again because of you.