Chapter 16

Cale stopped in front of the cave that shot up to the top of Mount Yellia. The cave was pretty wide, with a staircase heading down at the end.

"Eruhaben-nim, are you okay?"

Pendrick was using healing on the Gold Dragon Eruhaben as he supported him back up. Eruhaben nodded his head and took a handkerchief out of his spatial dimension in order to wipe the blood off of his mouth.

"Yes, my coughing seems to have stopped. Pendrick, I haven't seen you since you were little."

"Yes sir, it is an honor to meet you again."

---

"Follow me."

Eruhaben started to walk into his lair as he said one more thing.

"This is all part of fate I suppose."

Cale was invited into Eruhaben, the Gold Dragon's lair.

While they were conversing like normal people, Edel was going back to the golden elf's lair.

---

"What an odd human. No, should I say amazing?"

"I'm odd? No, amazing?"

Cale looked toward Eruhaben with confusion. The Gold Dragon continued to speak.

"How are you still alive after having obtained so many ancient powers?"

"...Hmm?"

"Most people would blow up and die."

"...What?"

Cale became extremely focused after hearing those words that it swept his concern about Raon causing trouble away. He could hear Raon's urgent voice.

"What?! Hey, Goldie, what did you just say?!"

Raon was shocked.

Cale was also shocked.

"Eruhaben-nim, please do not scare your guests so abruptly. It's bad for their health."

"Oh, you're back."

"Edel?! Why are you here?"

"Oh, Choi Han-nim! Young master Cale and everyone! Fancy meeting you again! It is not important how did I get there; I think you should focus on your body first, Young Master."

"Y-yes..." It's rare for Cale to stutter. But he just did. 

"...Did you say die?"

Meeeeeeow?

Ron had been quietly standing to the side, and Hong, who had been half-falling asleep, both looked toward Eruhaben with concern.

"None of you knew?"

Eruhaben's response was so casual that Cale forgot what he was going to say.

He had never heard about this before. He did not know that he might end up dying from having too many ancient powers.

Eruhaben clicked his tongue at Cale's gaze and started to speak again.

"You explain it to them." The golden dragon casually threw the job at Edel.

"So blunt..."

"Of course sir. Allow me to explain for you Young Master Cale."

"Ancient powers are fateful encounters where you need the Mandate of Heaven to acquire. They are precious powers, even if they may not be that strong."

"We know! So, hurry up and explain, pretty human!"

Bang!

Raon's paw slammed down on the golden table, leaving behind a paw print.

"A cute dragon...called me pretty...I can die peacefully now."

"How stupid. A Dragon doesn't even know this much and needs an explanation."

Eruhaben did not hide his contempt as he scoffed at Raon and stared. He then waited for Raon's reaction.

"I am not stupid. Hurry up and explain!"

Eruhaben and Edel smiled at Raon, who was looking at them while waiting for an explanation rather than getting angry. Then Edel started to talk.

"Many ancient texts and legends have recorded the humans who have held the power of ancient power in the past. But..."

Cale had an ominous feeling.

"The majority of them only had one ancient power. "

"Is there a reason behind this? Did all the people with multiple powers die? Is that why there are no records of them?"

Now that he thought about it, there was nobody inThe Birth of a Hero, who had even two ancient powers. Cale had never questioned that before though.

Edel saw the deep look in Cale's eyes and knew that Cale had concluded. He smiled gently and then started to speak again.

"Anybody with more than two ancient powers would die. That is why they are not in the records. Of course, they could still live if the Mandate of Heaven allowed them to have multiple ancient powers with the same elemental affinity, but when the ancient powers have different affinities like Young Master Cale has..."

Edel stretched out his fingers while Eruhaben listened boredly to the soliloquy.

"The human body expands like my fingers are doing right now until they blow up, leaving nothing behind."