Chapter 43

Edel put a flower on a patient's open stomach.

Shaaaaaaaa-

The injury started to quickly heal while glowing in a white-silver color.

"Than- thank you so much!"

The patient started to tear up and cheer while looking at his wound healing.

Choi Han and Rosalyn took potions out of their respective magic bags to assist the two priests and the healer. Cale observed them for a bit before making eye contact with Toonka.

Toonka started to speak with tears in his eyes.

"You even brought so many potions ... really, thank you very much."

Edel Stan's POV---

Painful memories don't ever fade away with time, and I don't want to bear witness to those scenes again.

"But don't you know that you'll eventually forget everything?" they used to ask teasingly but I'd always promptly retort them back with this foolish statement:

"...there will always be things that I won't ever forget."

I was born with a compassionate heart. Even if I was noble, I couldn't bear to see common folk suffer. Because I was always somehow able to relate with their pain.

Then I would remember your words of wisdom, my friend.

It was a rainy night. It was pouring. I held out my hand towards you... Was it because I felt empathy? Or was it pity? 

Oh...forgive me, my friend. It was not my intention to denigrate your great fortitude and will to persist.

"I'm a cancer patient.

"I'm constantly reminded that I may die anytime." you started slowly, your voice was almost an inescapable hiss, devoid of any emotions. So were my eyes.

"So, what right do I have to play normal?" 

You do. I wanted desperately shout it to the world. At that time, when I was still naive and fool I felt I could burn the world for you. Just for you. Solely for you.

Was I able to convey this message to you? Perhaps not really, based on what you said right after.

"God hates me so much that every time I start to feel something nice, my life immediately gets switched to hard mode.

Whom do you reckon God likes then?!"

"See that old lady over there? She used to love bragging to everyone about her grandson grew fast. And just when he's old enough to start to dream...the boy is kidnapped.

For three years she never stopped looking for him.

She taught herself how to read and write to make some posters. Every time it rains she waits by the side of the road, so she can replace the missing person posters on the walls.

And that's Einar. He's just three years older than you and he delivers food to half the people on this slum street. 

He was born deaf and mute so he communicated with customers using poorly written messages someone kindly did for him. Still, he gets yelled at all the time and has been assaulted by drunkards. Do you think God likes them?

Yet they never gave up.

You keep saying how fate does not make exceptions. That it treats everyone fairly.

Bullshit!

Who the heck do you think you are?!"

---

As someone born into nobility, not once did I feel like I could enjoy those privileges. 

The path of a healer is not easy at all, especially for a noble. 

You help people but many times...they are not grateful at all. Even so, I've never felt that my work was wasted.

There were times that...I wished for their gratitude. 

"Do you believe in God?" Jack-nim asked me once.

"I don't" I replied...by instinct.

"Haven't you felt things like anxieties, worries, and regrets in your life?"

"Yes, all the time."

"God saves you from those things."

"Is that true?"

"Yes, if you believe in god from the bottom of your heart, he surely will!"

"When I can't even believe in myself?"

Then another question: if you're 12 feet underwater and someone else is 24 feet underwater, you're both drowning, right?

Tell me, answer me one last time, Bo.

---

A.N.

Author here! Good morning, good evening, good afternoon dear readers!

Thank you so so so much for all the support you are giving this silly story of mine :D

Sorry for not updating much but school schedule is already chocking me alive :')

Have a great day!