Chapter 32

"Scared, Stan?"

Said she with a bold expression on her face...as if she was mocking me.

"You wish."

---

"No!"

"*****!"

The beginning of my nightmare. I could see her strong body turned towards me...and her mouth dropping fresh blood.

---

"This is the end."

"Scared, Edel?"

"Yes," I replied without hesitation.

Her pupils dilated. Then her gaze softened: she was now chuckling softly at me.

"Hahahaha."

"Me too."

I couldn't stop myself from smiling as well.

"At the same time then?"

---

Lilou as she bore no surname because she was born from a raped lowly servant. Yet she was quite fortunate to receive a strong body. 

At the age of 8, she was already around 60 inches, even if a servant was poorly fed, she grew and grew...like a massive tree. And she seemed to never stop.

Maybe that's why she used to look down on the frailest young master from the wicked nobility Stan.

While Edel lived a life full of misery, because unable to fight over the Marquiss position, the head maid addressed to him the boldest and rudest young servant in the mansion.

And a girl at that. All the young masters were supposed to be under the surveillance of an expert butler, but it was not the case for Edel Stan.

Even so, Edel harbored no ugly sentiment toward her, too busy to maintain his puny body, so the servant bullied him from time to time.

Until a day, likely after two months of her bullying service to the young master, Lilou asked rudely

"You stupid boy," and Edel flinched a little. 

"My puny young master Stan, do you not hate me at all?"

"Do you know that even if I'd kill you right here, no one would come to rescue you?"

Such crude language for an 8-year-old bratty girl, but they were both able to understand so well this crude language. Lilou continued with her abusive words:

"All that rage, all that pain...and you don't bear any contempt toward me?"

"Do you know that this is exactly the reason why people would only search for someone like you to bully?"

"You deserve it." Edel's breath hitches. But he is silent, he shakes a little his head, biting his lower lip. 

Every time this girl did him wrong, Edel kept quiet and just smiled. He was so uselessly weak! Sometimes he couldn't even get up with his own strength from the shabby bed.

Nevertheless, Lilou was always there to remind him of his dreadful weakness.

"Of course," Edel admits at last.

"I hate you," he says with a heavy tone. "Because you are a mirror of who I could have been if fate...Gods had been merciful...and if I had been ungrateful to live."

Lilou does not know why, but she heard a crack in her heart.

They stay silent until sunset.

"You can't see it on my face but I'm in pain right now. And every time you accuse me of crimes I didn't do."

"Yet I cannot fight back...because I'm not strong."

"And I wondered what it was like to be chosen."

"I was never chosen"

"I was a maybe..."

"a probably..."

"Sometimes even a definitely"

"but never the one."

Edel concluded his monologue accompanied by a pair of now dull green eyes in his angelic face.

"But I was the one who choose you, Stan."