the grand mistake

season 2, episode 10
No Mercy
chapter song : born to die

season 2, episode 10No Mercychapter song : born to die

Guilt.

Carmin couldn't sleep at all the night before school, and not just because of 1st day jitters. She couldn't sleep because the guilt of knowing what her best friend had done was eating her alive. And there was another selfish reason too.

Carmin was very good at keeping secrets. For instance, Betty Cranks had once told Carmin that she had kissed her best friend, Talia Banks, brother. Carmin had never opened her mouth about it even now.

But she didn't know Talia that well. And she'd hardly known Betty. It was an innocent secret that wouldn't hurt anyone.

When Carmin was 10, she'd called her mother to do her weekly check up. A man had answered the phone claiming to be Mandy Kim's boyfriend. Carmin had hung up the phone the quickest she had ever hung up that day. And she didn't tell her father.

How could she? He was so excited about her mother coming home for their anniversary. For all she knew her moms phone could have got stolen or the man was lying. But either was she kept her mouth shut.

Carmin was a good daughter.

She did as she was told and never argued or misbehaved. She washed her hands before and after meals, never walked around her home with shoes on, and always cleaned after herself. And she hardly ever lied. Or sold out her family.

But this was different. So different.

Tory had very quickly became one of her closest friends and allies. Miguel was her best friend after Aisha, and they told each other everything. And Sam was Carmin's acquaintance. And Robby was.. Robby.

Either way, Tory and Robby didn't deserve to be lied to and betrayed the way they were. And even though both Sam and Miguel were planning on coming clean to their significant other, guilt was eating Carmin up.

It wasn't her fault that Sam and Miguel kissed. It wasn't her fault that any of them were even fighting. And it wasn't her fault that Miguel had yet to tell Tory.

And Carmin wished so badly as she entered the school the next morning that she could tell Robby. Her eyes were settled on him as he made his way through the school, a smile on his lips as he looked for Sam.

And so selfishly, Carmin wanted to tell him what she had seen. Because she still wanted him. And for a girl like Carmin, she was used to getting what she wanted, except familiar structure. But she had made a promise.

And so, Robby Keene walked past her and up to Sam. Sam, who's eyes creeped back on Carmin who shook her head before walking to class.

Carmin made her way to class, ignoring Miguel who tried to call out to her. He furrowed his brows before running up beside her. "Have you talked to Tory?" Carmin glanced over at him with a slight glare on her face, "No, I told you I wouldn't."