a facade of emotions

season 4, episode 3
then learn to fly
chapter song : the spins

When it came to relationships, Carmin Kim had always had one very simple and clear rule that she stuck to in order to insure her own happiness

Two months.

Two months she would stay in the relationship in order to protect her own heart. It might have been selfish but it worked. The one time she had broken her rule was for Oliver, who at the time seemed perfect. Her mother approved of him, he was rich and kind enough to her.

But she ended up getting hurt in the end because she broke her own rule and went past two months. Why not three? By three months, you're attached or the person you're dating shows you their true colors.

Carmin didn't want to see colors. She wanted to be colorblind. And for some reason, when she started dating Robby, she'd forgotten her rule. But as the two month mark began to approach, the more Carmin thought of her rule.

And while she knew Robby was a good guy, he loved her and cared about her more than anyone else had ever loved her. But still. She got hurt the last time she went against her better judgement and with the karate war approaching, she wondered whose side she really was on.

She loved Robby and Tory, but Kreese was planning something that she just wasn't sure she wanted to be apart of. Kreese called her a queen in the game but really, she was a pawn, a pawn designed to upset her former friends, her family. Though she hadn't fully accepted what had been going on, she was becoming increasingly aware of it.

Robby stared at her from across the dojo, watching as she aimlessly punched and kicked against a punching dummy. It steadily swinging back and forth while she worked on it, staring off into space.

She'd been like that for the past week or so, at first he thought it was because Angela had moved back into town and the move was a stressful one. Which it was, it was so stressful for all the Kim's and Robby, who had become the main mover, alongside Tod Mayer, Angela's fiancé.

But now that the storm had ended, and everything seemed to be normal, Robby knew something else was wrong. And he wanted nothing more than to fix her problem to bring peace to her stress.

Just as he went to speak to her, Kreese called them all to try out the stances that Robby had taught them. Carmin standing just beside Robby but still she hadn't looked his way. This only brought more stress to Robby's heart.

The door to the dojo jingled, everyone's heads turned to the door as with the karate war on edge, they had half a mind to expect a Miyagi-do to come in and start crying to them. But instead, to Carmin's surprise, there stood Kenny Payne.